Respected Contributor

Re: Need recommendation for new refrigerator

I have a GE purchased in 2001 and still working today.  However, when we did a little updating (this was in my old home), we put the GE in the garage as an extra and purchased a Kenmore Elite (french door on top and freezer pull out on bottom).  Liked the style but Kenmore was a piece of junk...never again.

Honored Contributor

The home we are hoping to build next year comes with all appliance except a fridge. You have to provide one. I will likely get a side by side as that works for me and they aren't terribly pricey.

Respected Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:

@panda1234- thanks I need it LOL.  I am going this weekend to check out some GE and LG as I read in your posts and others.

I'd avoid GE at all costs, they sold their appliance division to a Chinese company, Haier.  Very cheaply made now.

Respected Contributor

We just purchased a french door LG fridge, LG range, microwave and a kitchenaid dishwasher in stainless steel.    Hopefully, I made smart decisions when deciding to buy these appliances.

Honored Contributor

If anyone is curious, yes, these appliances (also furniture and many other things) are made with an expiration date built into the item on purpose. We're not supposed to know this but it's true.

If you have the time, find THE WASTE MAKERS by Vance Packard (written in 1960) about planned obsolescence.

We found out first hand regarding this from a gentleman we met who owned many large furniture stores that had a reputation for steel frames and well made fabrics and foams.  He had actually worked for another furniture company (VERY well known) for years and was one of their upper management.

He told us they had meetings to talk about how to make their furniture last less time so the public would go out and buy new furniture more often! It used to last a good 20 years, then 15, then 10 and finally 7 (when he left) because they were discussing 5 year lifetimes.  This gentleman left and started his own business because of that.

You'll also find it in televisions...  just about anything out there.  It's so pervasive and "normal" now that we get giddy if our appliances last ten years!!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*