Respected Contributor

Re: Need recommendation for new refrigerator

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

They definitely don't make appliances to last. I bought a GE refrigerator in 2006, and so far it is doing fine, knock on wood. It has an ice maker. The water dispenser has a filter, but is inside the refrigerator, rather than on the outside.  Freezer is on top. The other two refrigerators I had were side by side, a Frigidaire and an Amana. They only lasted 6 and 7 years respectively.

I think the more "bells and whistles" added, the shorter a lifespan a refigerator has.  Just my opinion.

Someone recommended I get an LG, as we were looking to get a second one for the laundry room.  I haven't bought one yet. I'll be interested to see what others recommend.

@CatLoverDogsToo

A repairman once told me the fewer knobs on any appliance the better. Speed Queen washer has only two knobs, guess that is one of the reasons that makes them good. 

Valued Contributor

Another vote for the Kenmore Elite.  I have the one with bottom freezer and single door on top.  It has been perfect for almost 3 years.  Very quiet too.  No water hooked up on mine, I make my own ice.  My Kenmore is just a Sears branded LG by the way as a lot of their appliances nowadays are.   I also got it in the hard to find bisque color which matches my oven/stovetop and exhaust fan.

Trusted Contributor

Whirlpool or Kitchenaid.

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

Don't want side by side, must be stainless and want counter depth. After 7 years mine is not working, guess that is the life of appliances today. 

I have a counter depth fridge and I can't wait for it to die.  I absolutely hate it, the lack of room in this thing is awful.  My next one can stick out as much as necessary and I won't care because I'll at least have room inside.

Super Contributor

For the last week, I've been doing some research on refrigerators.. I have a 30 year old side by side Whirlpool refrigerator with outside water & ice dispenser.. It's still going, but noisey.. Since I cannot take the noise anymore, I decided we need a new frig..

Been doing my research, since things made today DO NOT LAST.. What I've found out, from different vendors is that LG is the better choice; then comes Kitchen Aid & then Whirlpool.. They never mention the Samsung..  After reading some of the comments here, I may look into a Samsung and see what the reviews say.. I too, am not sure what brand to get.. I need to make a decision soon bc the noise is driving me nuts..

Respected Contributor

@classic wrote:

For the last week, I've been doing some research on refrigerators.. I have a 30 year old side by side Whirlpool refrigerator with outside water & ice dispenser.. It's still going, but noisey.. Since I cannot take the noise anymore, I decided we need a new frig..

Been doing my research, since things made today DO NOT LAST.. What I've found out, from different vendors is that LG is the better choice; then comes Kitchen Aid & then Whirlpool.. They never mention the Samsung..  After reading some of the comments here, I may look into a Samsung and see what the reviews say.. I too, am not sure what brand to get.. I need to make a decision soon bc the noise is driving me nuts..

Try and put up with the noise, you won't be happy with what is out there........really. 

Respected Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

Don't want side by side, must be stainless and want counter depth. After 7 years mine is not working, guess that is the life of appliances today. 

I have a counter depth fridge and I can't wait for it to die.  I absolutely hate it, the lack of room in this thing is awful.  My next one can stick out as much as necessary and I won't care because I'll at least have room inside.

@Tyak

That is how we feel about our side by side, hate it, not wide enough. I understand what you are saying about not having room inside. This is not a issue for me as I have another fridge in my garage. 

Honored Contributor

Our appliance repair man constantly says to not get appliances with electronics as much as possible, because the can't be replaced and have a short life.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo    Yes I know, but I still buy Kenmore.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

We have a brand new French door style that I simply despise.  It is hard to shuffle stuff around in the bottom pull out section and I find I have to "repack" too often after I get something out.  

The top section has little space for tall things and that is a problem for us.  We can't store much in it, and things get pushed to the back.  If you are short, you probably won't like this style.

To me, the perfect solution is a side by side, where things are very visable, and a small freezer of some type for the garage to keep bigger flat items.  The small chest type freezers don't cost that much, and you can buy a really nice side by side often on sale.

I would buy anything from Sears.  EVER.