Respected Contributor

Re: Need recommendation for new refrigerator

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

A couple of months ago we got a Sears Kenmore Elite.  The freezer on the bottom pull out drawer, and a single door on top.  I just love it.  I dont have to bend over to see whats in the fridge.  I have been a Kenmore gal all my adult life.  My new range is a Kenmore and the hood range is too.

Except that Sears doesn't make their own appliances and haven't for many years.  They are made by Whirlpool, GE, Frigidare, etc.  You can tell by the first 3 diigits of the model # which brand made it.

@Scooby Doo

Thanks, this is good to know.

Respected Contributor

@Stray wrote:

I have a GE and it's 17 years old and has never had a problem.  My neighbor works for Samsung and my other neighbor does home design...they both feel the Samsung is the best.  So when my GE is finally put to rest, I guess that will be my choice.  I don't know if GE still makes a good product but I sure got my money's worth. 

Yes you did. I would hang on to that as long as you can. 

Respected Contributor

After doing a bit of research, I got an LG French Door refrigerator in Feb, 2016.  I love it!  I actually replaced all my kitchen appliances at that time.... because I needed a new fridge, and all the others were 14 years old.  I decided to get all stainless.  Everything is an LG except for the dishwasher, which is a Bosch.  Bosch dishwashers are the highest rated.

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234, I only bought Kenmore appliances for years.  Unfortunately, the Kenmore fridge that I had hoped to fix was actually the second one that they delivered.  First one never worked and I lost quite a bit of groceries.  I also had to replace the 4 year old microwave.  Got a Samsung for that one.  Additionally, I also had to replace both the washer and dryer.  Like the fridge, the washer was the second one.  A part broke in my first one and since I have a second floor laundry, everything came throught the kitchen ceiling.  My current gas stove is falling apart, also a Kenmore bought when I got the other appliances.   As you might guess, I will never own another Kenmore.  Quality is just not there, at least for me, but I hope that those who are still purchasing have better luck.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I have to go this weekend to replace my beloved GE refrigerator that was purchased back in the late 80's so I can't complain I got my monies worth and then some.  I am looking for a similar type but this time stainless steel, freezer on top with ice-maker.  I know I will never see that longevity again but this refrigerator is still kicking a little noisy at times that's why I don't want to wait much longer.

Respected Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

After doing a bit of research, I got an LG French Door refrigerator in Feb, 2016.  I love it!  I actually replaced all my kitchen appliances at that time.... because I needed a new fridge, and all the others were 14 years old.  I decided to get all stainless.  Everything is an LG except for the dishwasher, which is a Bosch.  Bosch dishwashers are the highest rated.

@ItsME

I am leaning towards a LG from what i have read on here. I too have a Bosch dishwasher and LOVE it......the best.

Respected Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1

I feel bad that you have to replace your refrigerator because everything out there is a disappointment, good luck.

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl

WOW what an experience you had. I bet you don't want to even drive by a Sears let alone go in. I will not be buying Kenmore for sure.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

Last year, I had to get a fridge and the repair person recommended an LG.  My old one was less than 5 years old and it was a Kenmore Elite.  It could not be fixed.  The repair person said that LG's were the best but to make sure that LG was on the front of the fridge.  So far, so good.

Just curious as to what that means.  What else would be on the front of an LG fridge/freezer?  Is he implying that it may not be a genuine LG, if you don't see the logo on the front?

I am curious as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234- thanks I need it LOL.  I am going this weekend to check out some GE and LG as I read in your posts and others.