Esteemed Contributor

We’ll be moving to a senior living apartment (on waitlist). We can have our choice of flooring – carpet, hardwood, linoleum that looks like wood, etc. 

We had the carpet in our current house removed and replaced with hardwood floors. We love them but they need to be babied. I have pads under all the furniture, etc. I’m afraid to put any furniture directly on the floor without something under it in case of scratching or dents.

What would you choose and why? I’m interested in the pros and cons. I’m wondering what’s easiest to live with and looks nice.

Respected Contributor

Re: Need opinions on flooring

I have both hardwood and carpet in my home...and my feet love it when I finally reach the carpet...much better on these ol' stompers.

Esteemed Contributor

@cotton4me , I love hardwood.  That would be my choice.  LM

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me 

Hardwood for sure!

It's easier to keep clean and if you need a wheelchair or walker it's much easier to navigate than carpet.

Respected Contributor

Carpet and hardwood are pretty but require a lot of TLC to look good..I would not choose something that requires a lot to maintain. Moving to a senior apartment, I would go with the linoleum that looks like wood. 

Respected Contributor

Being a senior myself I do have some opinions.  Hardwood and laminate are hard when you fall and can be slippery.  If you have pets , well padded carpet can hold odors but when you fall it is softer and less likely to result in broken bones.  Vacuuming can be a pain but with a robotic vacuum it is easy.  Vinyl plank flooring is beautiful and looks like wood but softer to walk and fall on and if you get a textured one not slippery.  Probably easy to keep clean especially with a pet no odor problem.  I am not saying you are going to fall but it gets more likely the older we get.  If I could redo my flooring it would be the vinyl planks with texture in the main part and carpet in the bedroom.  I have tile in my bathrooms and kitchen and really want to get rid of it.  

Honored Contributor

Wood floors....I love the feel of wood, cleaner than carpet, and aesthetically more beautiful (also more expensive, so great that you have this option).  By far, I would vote for the wood.

Honored Contributor

Hardwood

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Carpet is a NO for me. There will always be dirt in the fibers, base and underneath. It is never clean. Especially with pets.  Although, carpet does feel better under bare foot. 

I never go barefoot though....It depends on your priorities! 

We put hardwood throughout our house, and after putting the the felt discs under the furniture, there is no other babying needed! 

Super Contributor

My parents moved to a Senior Living apartment 2 years ago and they had the same choices.  They chose the vinyl wood plank flooring and do not regret it.  They have a large floor rug for the living room, and one for the bedroom.

Due to allergies, my mother preferred not to have carpeting.  They have had some falls, and blood cleans up so much easier from vinyl than carpeting.  They do not regret their choice at all.