Honored Contributor

Re: Need opinions on flooring

Vinyl plank and linoleum are two completely different products.

I would take vinyl plank over linoleum.

Respected Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

We’ll be moving to a senior living apartment (on waitlist). We can have our choice of flooring – carpet, hardwood, linoleum that looks like wood, etc. 

We had the carpet in our current house removed and replaced with hardwood floors. We love them but they need to be babied. I have pads under all the furniture, etc. I’m afraid to put any furniture directly on the floor without something under it in case of scratching or dents.

What would you choose and why? I’m interested in the pros and cons. I’m wondering what’s easiest to live with and looks nice.

Since you said you're moving to a senior living apartment, I would say hardwood flooring.  As we age, the need for mobility devices (such as walkers, wheelchairs) may come up.  Much easier on a solid surface than carpet.  There is tile that looks like hardwood flooring.  My sister recently put it in her kitchen.  It's really nice.  There's also a product out there called water resistant laminate (Hydroshield and AquaGuard).  I know two people who had this put in their homes and they really like it.

Honored Contributor

As much as I love the look of hard wood I would go with carpeting.  You'd have to use a dust mop under every piece of furniture on a regular basis.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm thinking for senior living, carpet might be best. Because with wood or vinyl you might be putting down throw rugs and I know those can be very dangerous for seniors. With carpet you won't have to worry about that. 

Respected Contributor

Have luxury vinyl in my kitchen for past 6 months. It looks like tile with grout between tiles. Tiles have a texture that you feel when barefoot. Not slippery or difficult to clean. Practical for owner.
Esteemed Contributor

I really appreciate the various viewpoints.  It’s good to hear the pros and cons, things I need to consider.   Thank you so much!

Respected Contributor

I just had thought that might Need pursuing. I have heard people in two story homes who put hardwood throughout comment that it is noisier downstairs. Any experience with this? That makes me wonder how floors affect upstairs/downstairs neighbors.
Honored Contributor

@cotton4me  It depends on where you will live?  Florida or the south?  If so, you may want to choose a terra cotta stone or something on that order.  Otherwise, I would go with the wood and don't select a dark stain because it shows everything.  Bleached wood is very nice.  Don't worry about placing furniture on it.  I had wood floors and never used protection and they were fine.  You will probably live another 30 to 40 years so why even think about it and that's a long life long life if you are 65 now.  I don't mean any harm by saying it.

kindness is strength