Respected Contributor

Re: Need opinions on flooring

I've had hardwood floors my whole life, in multiple homes, and have never babied it.

For your apartment, I'd go with hardwoods, with carpet in the bedrooms. If you can mix that is.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Go for the linoleum that looks like wood.  I have vinyl plank flooring in my kitchen/dining and I love it.  You wouldn't know it isn't hardwood.  I had laminate prior to the vinyl plank but it buckled due to a drain that was leaking - laminate isn't waterproof - the vinyl plank is.

I'm ready to get rid of all  my carpeting - just sick of cleaning it.

I'd think you'd want to make your life as easy as possible - I sure do.  Good luck in your new place!

Honored Contributor

Just want to thank everyone who replied to @cotton4me .  I'm not getting ready to move to a facility, but I am "seniorizing" my condo with hopes of aging in place.  

Step one for me is paint and flooring in my great room.  More and more, I'm thinking the vinyl plank flooring mentioned by several.  I do like hardwood, but because of southern Florida's tendency to humidity the vinyl plank makes lots of sense.

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me   Linoleum looking wood - I'd check to see if they really mean actual linoleum. If this was a wood laminate this is what I'd go with. I'd want to see this product.

I really kind of don't like any of the choices. I do love a great wood plank laminate. Carpeting is nice under our feet - warm cozy, but let's face it, it gets dirty. Will they clean it for you if/when it needs it? The thing with cleaning carpet though, once you start it tends to get dirty again fast.

I guess the best out of these three would be wood and get a few area rugs.

Respected Contributor

About 3 years ago, I had my carpet removed in my living room and put down luxury vinyl planking by Core Tec. I also put it in my kitchen, dining room, closet, pantry and powder room. It has a cork layer that makes it a bit softer than hardwood. There's a variety of widths and colors  to pick from. Mine is 7". It looks like rough sawn wood. I think if I had to do it again, I would pick a lighter color as it does show the cat hair. I do put little things under the furniture, especially dining chairs as they get moved in and out. It's basically waterproof, so if the my cats get sick, it's no problem to clean. To mop, I just use a Don Aslett micro fiber mop, wet it and also use a spray bottle to wet floor so the mop stays wet.

Trusted Contributor

Nobody likes to think about it, but mobility is an important factor as we age.  Down the road, one of you might find the day when you need a cane, walker or wheelchair some days to help you enjoy greater mobility.  Hard floors are easier for mobility devices as carpets (and rugs) can tend to be a trip/fall hazard.  Just something to think about for meeting possible future needs with decisions made now. Whatever you decide, enjoy your new home!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately i listened to my Realtor when we moved into our place and went with the "wood look" laminate.....regret

it....go for hardwood for sure!!!

Frequent Contributor

We installed vinyl plank flooring in 2016 and we love it. We have carpet in the bedrooms and tile in the bathrooms. I wish the bathrooms had it instead of tile....no slipping issues with the vinyl. Also it's very low maintenance even with 2 small dogs. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

I love the appearance of hardwood floors but because I have fallen before, I am someone that finds it a necessity to have carpets.

Honored Contributor

Hardwood, no question.

Also, some of you are recommending vinyl plank flooring, but that is not being offered according to the OP.  There's a big difference between linoleum and VPF.