Honored Contributor

I checked shrikes and thrushes. The least they could have done was stick around, they were beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

Here's another ID guide, if you want to try that. Did you see them on the ground? Or, on a branch? That helps in identification, too. Were they at a feeder? At first, I thought of mockingbird, too. If small (like a sparrow), then revert to the warblers. I think you need the Peterson guide.

http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?guide=Birds

Honored Contributor

If you can get a picture, you can post it to a bird watching forum and probably get a response.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately we haven't seen them in the past several days. They were on the ground, picking heaven knows what out of our gravel driveway and the grass next to it. We were just losing the last of our snow. I'm going to check the link Harpa left, I'm also going to vary location in the Nat Geo link. I think they must have been lost. We are on a north-south flyway for ducks and geese, we get a lot of those passing through.

I'm going to have to wait until I pick up my computer from the shop. I'm on DH's, and the links just aren't working. I don't dare mess with it too much, as it is his work computer.

Valued Contributor

This is a snow bunting? Sorry for the enormous picture!!

Esteemed Contributor

Larger than a robin would be 10-13"". A gray jay? (Not too many birds have a white head.)

But that doesn't account for the white stripes on the wings.

#425 in the Audubon book.

#426 - Gray Kingbird...?

Valued Contributor

The bird you describe is likely not the snow bunting based on the size you describe.

Wild Birds Unlimited has a nice description for bird lovers...

http://lansingwbu.blogspot.com/2014/01/bird-of-week-snowflake-birds.html

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/23/2014 Luv_My_Beagle said:

The bird you describe is likely not the snow bunting based on the size you describe.

Wild Birds Unlimited has a nice description for bird lovers...

http://lansingwbu.blogspot.com/2014/01/bird-of-week-snowflake-birds.html

Good sleuthing, Luv_My_Beagle! The white plumage is their summer dress. They are known for their flashing white wing patches.

#547 in Audubon. No wonder you couldn't find this, depglass!

Valued Contributor

I hope we find out if this was the bird! I love buntings!

Honored Contributor

Photo above is by far the closest. The feathers were lighter and the white V was more distinctive, going into the tail. What size is this one? I'll have DH look when he gets home. I'm so excited this might be it. The fact this Wild Birds Unlimited site is out of Lansing is a good sign. Same state, 450 miles away.