Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need help with a chandelier

When you go with any chandelier, take into consideration how many lightbulbs it has and their wattage, especially when lighting a small space like a bedroom.

All those bulbs throw a lot of heat. Ever walk into a lighting store?

While new construction won't be done 'till Feb, your electrician will want to know fixtures in advance. Ceiling fans or heavy chandeliers require a support box in the ceiling. Let him know in advance.

If you don't, then you're cutting into brand new drywall and creating extra mess & expense.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

When you go with any chandelier, take into consideration how many lightbulbs it has and their wattage, especially when lighting a small space like a bedroom.

All those bulbs throw a lot of heat. Ever walk into a lighting store?

While new construction won't be done 'till Feb, your electrician will want to know fixtures in advance. Ceiling fans or heavy chandeliers require a support box in the ceiling. Let him know in advance.

If you don't, then you're cutting into brand new drywall and creating extra mess & expense.

It's already in our blue prints it will be wired for a ceiling fan if we want. I just don't think that is the direction I want to go.

Respected Contributor

@ccassaday Will there be a dimmer?  I'm not much for overhead lighting due to it being so bright.  The chandelier may be for a dining room or whatever, but modern bedrooms are as large as a dining room, so size isn't the issue.  Changing the light bulbs may be difficult, but I can't see you doing that anyway.  I like it all.  I'm pretty sure you can take it back once you open it and just hang it in that space before you wire it in.  Then you will know if it will work well or not.  Have you looked at it in person yet?  If not, that may help.  The crystals appear to be more campaign than clear. so know that going into your decor, which it does go with.  You don't want things to be too matchy matchy.  Things should be harmonious, not matchy. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

@ccassaday Will there be a dimmer?  I'm not much for overhead lighting due to it being so bright.  The chandelier may be for a dining room or whatever, but modern bedrooms are as large as a dining room, so size isn't the issue.  Changing the light bulbs may be difficult, but I can't see you doing that anyway.  I like it all.  I'm pretty sure you can take it back once you open it and just hang it in that space before you wire it in.  Then you will know if it will work well or not.  Have you looked at it in person yet?  If not, that may help.  The crystals appear to be more campaign than clear. so know that going into your decor, which it does go with.  You don't want things to be too matchy matchy.  Things should be harmonious, not matchy. 

Yes the crystals are champaign according to the description. I am not worried about liking it. I just want to make sure it goes with the the picture, comforter, and furniture. And I won't know that until after we are in and have my furniture. The electrician will hang everything. My dad could do it after we are moved in but I would rather have the electrician so my dad don't have to mess with anything. Not sure about the dimmer switch.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday  The electrician could easily install a dimmer switch.  When I switched out the ceiling fan in my bedrroom for a chandelier the handyman put a dimmer switch in.  I really like having it, although I use the lamps in my bedroom a lot more than the chandelier.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@ccassaday - I am wondering what your furniture is?  I have been looking for something in that style/color.

I like your chandelier choice but personally would go with a ceiling fan (air circulation is always helpful).  

Good luck with the coming months - this is very exciting and I have been following along with your adventures in selling.

Honored Contributor

Crystal chandeliers are way too formal for anyplace in my house, especially the bedroom.  Do I want to haul a ladder out periodically to dust it..... No!  Plus I don't even like the look of them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

@ccassaday - I am wondering what your furniture is?  I have been looking for something in that style/color.

I like your chandelier choice but personally would go with a ceiling fan (air circulation is always helpful).  

Good luck with the coming months - this is very exciting and I have been following along with your adventures in selling.

It is ballard design Isabella collection. I dont have it yet. Hopefully when we get moved in and I am ready to get furniture they will still have it. I really love the color. 

Honored Contributor

After reading the reviews on the nightstand you've chosen, I would think twice about getting that one.  Several reviews say that the power strip doesn't work well for all devices.  I do like the looks of that collection though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

After reading the reviews on the nightstand you've chosen, I would think twice about getting that one.  Several reviews say that the power strip doesn't work well for all devices.  I do like the looks of that collection though.

I don't think I would even use that feature. It's going to go beside my recliner. The plug beside my recliner will be like waste high so I can plug my phone in and reach it. I don't want all gray furniture because the walls are gray. I like that it is tan with some gray through it. Plus it has to beable to work with a adjustable bed like a sleep number. I was sent the instructions and I do think it will work. I just hope with my disability a adjustable bed will work for me. Otherwise I have to keep my ugly hospital bed.