Contributor

Re: Need garage sale help and advice!

We arranged for Vietnam Veterans of America to pickup everything that did not sell 1 hour after the sale ended so we didn't have to bring anything bak inside.
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

You've gotten a lot of advice on here.

I'll just say that I've had many yard sales, with family members........ and as much work as it is, we have a great time!

We all have lunch in my front yard at the end, and donate anything left over.

Trusted Contributor

I have had a few garage sales and will never have one again!

I had people load things into a box and ask me for a price. They were trying to hide stuff underneath so I would not see it.

Others tried to get things for pennies on the dollar. I was able to sell some big things for a fair price, but never again.

I would rather load it in the car and donate it to Goodwill and take the tax deduction!

Super Contributor

ScienceGeek gave great advice; I was going to suggest the cooler of water and Coke as well. Small bags of cheeze-its or nuts or something if you can get them in bulk at a GFS or other supply store. Play music, perhaps, so it's festive.

Be sure to have a plan for your own lunch -- pre-make turkey sandwiches or have leftover pizza on hand, or something easy & fast.

Have at least two helpers so if one needs to step indoors, two others are watching for theft. Have a plan ahead of time with them about how you will handle lunch and other breaks, and who is responsible for the cash. If they are putting items in your sale, you can color-code the price tags.

Agree that a table price alleviates the work on you "All items $1" "All items $5" "All items 25c" etc. "Silk flowers $1 / stem."

Put a "free" pile of oddball stuff at the end of your driveway; it will make people stop.

If you have small collectibles or valuables, take pictures and print out on flyers and post around the garage or on your cash table. If a serious buyer for, say, a ring or watch or figurine inquires, you can bring out the item for that person. Same for items like guns or even valuable tools.

Plan a clearance sale and advertise it on flyers at your sale. "Last three hours of Sunday, all items 50 cents." It will kill you to see stuff going away for that amount but if you really want to get rid of it, that will help. I once got a darling little lamp for 25c when some girls did the same while liquidating their grandma's stuff. I love it, 15 years later, so it found a good home. Alternatively, have boxes on hand and when the sale ends, immediately box up leftovers, put in the car and on Monday morning take to Salvation Army or other donation site.

Don't underestimate what people will buy. I love old sewing kits for example, especially if they are as-is (jumbled, lots of odds and ends) -- itls like reading an older woman's life story to see what she has tucked in there over decades. Go to some antique, resale or shabby-chic shops in your area before the sale to see what trash-to-treasure items are selling -- anything garden or farm or garage/auto related is hot. You can price accordingly; I just paid $15 for a galvanized metal trashcan about 2 feet high, for example, because it fits my garden decor scheme. Old milk bottles, etc. -- anything vintage. Even partially used cans of paint, etc. are useful to someone.

While some people do like kid stuff, others are interested in sales like yours -- mature people liquidating -- so in your ad be sure to say "20 year (or 30 or "lifetime") accumulation; downsizing or other key words that indicate there is probably some good and vintage stuff.

I do like chatting with garage sale sellers but if there is one thing that will drive me away quickly it's when the seller(s) just sits there with a beady eye watching me. Of course they have to watch for theft but it's tactful to busy yourself so the browser doesn't feel under a microscope and will spend more time. Often I don't see what I want to buy until the second or third circuit of the merchandise.

Be creative in your merchandising -- if you don't think individual items like costume-jewelry will sell, put them in a bag or box as "dress-up box" for kiddies.

Beware of scrappers. I had put out a brass candlestick for $1 and some rough, tuff guys came along; one snatched it -- I knew he would just sell it as scrap and didn't want that fate for what had been a gift from my aunt so I said "Oh, I'm sorry, my neighbor is buying that" and took it from him. Of course some people don't mind if their stuff is melted down but I do.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!!!

Honored Contributor

Wow, I thought I'd be the only one so I didn't say anything when I saw this thread yesterday. But I tried this garage sale thing several years ago and NEVER again will I do this. I'd rather put the stuff in a pile and burn it. Don't freak - I wouldn't DO that. We donate.

First of all, people show up WAY early and bang on your door. They show up while you're trying to set up (still way before the time given) and won't leave. They disrespect you and it's just maddening.

I'd be selling something brand new, still in the box, worth $300, for $30 and some idiot would say 'I'll give ya a dime fer it'. Yeah - NO! I actually told a couple of people to get off my property. My husband was going 'shhh, they know where we live'. I said 'well, they are the ones coming here and disrespecting us'.

Anyway, I lasted less than two hours. My husband stayed out there for an hour or so longer and packed the rest of it up and took it to donate. Since then we donate it all each year. Rather help somebody out who NEEDS it, get a receipt, and write some of it off.

I could never act the way some (read-MOST!) of these people act. There were nice people. We did it along with our little street that weekend and that is probably the #1 reason I went ahead and did it. We only made a few hundred in the short time but it was more worth it to stop than to go past noon - if for no other reason than the stress.

Honored Contributor

For the most part, a yard sale is a better way to declutter a home than it is to raise money. As long as you know your own goal, you'll be just fine.

Please if you can since you want to get rid of lots of things, find friends or family to assist you on the day of the sale - and lock all your doors so people don't walk into your house while you're dealing with a customer. Oh, yes, they do do that!

When I did the huge sale I ran right before I sold my home of many years, I priced to get rid of what I just knew I wasn't using, what I didn't want to pay to move or store - and I sold hundreds of items! I even sold a few things I was sure I was going to toss.

Since I knew that when the sale ended, everything left was going to donations (The Vets in my area take almost everything) or perhaps to trash, how much people wanted to pay was almost immaterial. Although, when someone wanted an item I'd marked for a dollar for less, I told them they could have it as long as they bought something else to get up to the dollar. Not one person walked away without finding another little thing!

Honored Contributor

DH and I have gone to thousands of sales. Only had one-too much work.

Keep your prices low-if you need money for a house payment you are in big trouble.

Stay off the phone!!!!

No obnoxious children helping you!

No crock pots of food for your helpers. It is not a party it is a sale.

We never go to sales anymore-too expensive.

DH adds a PS: Good Signs. Have to be able to find it.

Honored Contributor

On 3/17/2015 sciencegeek said:

I'm not talking about homemade treats, just cold cans.

I understand. Any food that you sell at your home, many cities require a permit. Sure you can do it, and your chances are very slim you would get cited. This applies to lemonade stands etc.

Super Contributor

That's a good point on the signage. Many people try to cram too much information -- all you really need is "SALE" and a big arrow on bright paper -- maybe the street name. Presumably you'll have balloons (a lot of sellers put a ladder at the end of their driveway with balloons and a big sign on it) so once they make it to your street they can spot the sale. Just use the same paper -- bright green or bright pink -- with huge black arrows -- on nearby thoroughfares and leave a trail to your house.

Staple them to telephone poles if possible or, if you are in a newer or condo community, duct-tape to dowels and post in the easement. You can also park a car on a public street at a good intersection with a huge sign on it pointing to your sale.

OP, any chance of getting neighbors to have a sale the same weekend?

I don't have a problem with the sellers eating as long as the food doesn't smell off-putting (too spicy, etc.) and they are free to make transactions. Agree that kids should not be there if possible.

Check on eBay or Etsy for prices of things you suspect have value.

Respected Contributor

On 3/18/2015 ID2 said:

We have a garage sale yearly. Our tiny city has a city-wide garage sale over Memorial Weekend. I never used to ever have garage sales. But several years ago we started and now I can't stop! I've gotten rid of a lot of things. I've met so many nice people in our community. I'm looking forward to this years sale. Just keep in mind people come to garage sales to get a deal...usually a super deal. You really have to let things go for pennies on the dollar. I price everything pretty much under $5. Trust me they won't buy unless its a couple bucks. If you are selling furniture and larger items then price those accordingly but still you'll have to be committed to selling itfor next to nothing. Try not to listen to the complainers here. Have your garage sale, meet your neighbors and have a great time!

So you'd rather her go into it without knowing what COULD and MIGHT happen? I wish I had known these things before having my garage sale. I would have never put myself through it.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}