Valued Contributor

Re: Need color suggestions for front door

@jackthebear wrote:

@Marybella wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Marybella wrote:

We are selling a home that we own and I'd like to "freshen" the front door and trim. I am color challenged and not sure what would look good. The house has a stained wood siding that is a warmer dark brown. What do you think would be a good contrasting color for the door? The current color is an olive green. Thanks!

if you have a RE agent ask them,  there must be the best colors to sell a house

I do and I will! I'm leaning toward a neutral right now. I don't have a lot of time to plan, so a beige, tan, or caramel will have to do!

FWIW since you asked those are the most unappealing to me.  interested to hear what your RE agent says on this topic 

my friend sold her house her agent told her to change her door from pale green to black and it looked great, her house was grey. 

I won't be living there, I just want the door to look better than it now does. I agree that they are not exciting, but with the time crunch I'm under, I just need something easy. I have repainted my front door where I live three times before I got it right! LOL Paint chips don't always translate when you get it on a door or wall, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Marybella wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Marybella wrote:

We are selling a home that we own and I'd like to "freshen" the front door and trim. I am color challenged and not sure what would look good. The house has a stained wood siding that is a warmer dark brown. What do you think would be a good contrasting color for the door? The current color is an olive green. Thanks!

if you have a RE agent ask them,  there must be the best colors to sell a house

I do and I will! I'm leaning toward a neutral right now. I don't have a lot of time to plan, so a beige, tan, or caramel will have to do!

FWIW since you asked those are the most unappealing to me.  interested to hear what your RE agent says on this topic 

my friend sold her house her agent told her to change her door from pale green to black and it looked great, her house was grey. 

@Marybella   Those are the most unappealing colors to me, too.  For instant curb appeal a tan door would put me off.  I would be less interested in seeing the house.  My front door has been red, blue, and now it's black.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Perhaps a deep dark green or a deep burnt orange.

Something with warnth to compliment the dark stain.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marybella wrote:

@Marybella 

Anything in the red or yellow family is hospitable and warming and invites the potential buyer to come in and take a look.  A soft but yet mustard gold is a good color for the wood siding that you describe. You must also make a wreath that blends the two colors.  You could use a grapevine and intersperse some seasonal purples and tiny gold flowers like forsythia and intertwine some ribbons of same color.

@Marybella 

Sherwin-Williams (and I don't use them exclusively. I go to Benjamin-Moore, Restoration Hardware, Sherwin-Williams and Glidden but S-W has a great color, Tarnished Trumpet that would look lovely as a door color for your brown-sided home.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Feng Shui Front Door Colors To Admire and Learn From

@just bee 

Tone down the orange to a more mustard yellow and that's the ticket.  No beige, no green, no grey or blue.  when you are trying to sell a house, you don't want to turn most of the lookers away with green (which reminds them of you wanting a lot of money) or blue (which is a cold color for lookers) and tan (a washed-out color).  Go gold, go bold and make a beautiful wreath with seasonal flowers and tiny ribbon intertwined throughout.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@moonandthestars wrote:

So nobody seems overly interested in the feng shui of it all, but I decided to do a quick look online anyway and see what I could find.  So, for a south facing door:

"To sum it up for you, best feng shui colors for a South facing front door are (in order of their auspiciousness): red, purple, strong yellowdeep orangedeep pinkgreen and brown colors. "

@Marybella 

@just bee  Nice door!  right in line with what I posted above too.  I do think the white trim around it is helpful tho.

@moonandthestars 

She is trying to sell her house, make people want to come inside.  Warm colors suggest "you are welcome..

Valued Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@moonandthestars wrote:

So nobody seems overly interested in the feng shui of it all, but I decided to do a quick look online anyway and see what I could find.  So, for a south facing door:

"To sum it up for you, best feng shui colors for a South facing front door are (in order of their auspiciousness): red, purple, strong yellowdeep orangedeep pinkgreen and brown colors. "

@Marybella 

@just bee  Nice door!  right in line with what I posted above too.  I do think the white trim around it is helpful tho.

@moonandthestars 

She is trying to sell her house, make people want to come inside.  Warm colors suggest "you are welcome..

@Nonametoday 

The market is so hot people will come inside no matter what color the front door is. I don't want to overthink this. I will have one day to paint before listing. The warm mustard gold might be easy to do. 

Honored Contributor

@Marybella wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@moonandthestars wrote:

@Marybella 

@moonandthestars 

@Nonametoday 

The market is so hot people will come inside no matter what color the front door is. I don't want to overthink this. I will have one day to paint before listing. The warm mustard gold might be easy to do. 

@Marybella 

If the market is so hot, nobody will look at the door, then leave it like it is and don't worry.  You will save yourself some time and money by leaving it as is.

Valued Contributor

My 2 cents would be to pick a true neutral IF you're still going to paint. Color is super personalized & most people feel very strongly for or against certain colors. You want to sell the home asap I'm assuming, so pick something that appeals to the masses & doesn't turn them off before they walk in the front door!

Personally I'd be grossed out by a yellow, orange or red door in any shade of these colors! If you like those colors- great, paint what you like for your home!

Homes are moving quick & a lot of people are selling as is w no changes before listing. I don't know your target area though.
Honored Contributor

@just bee   wrote:

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~

Next to cats they are!!!   LOL

kindness is strength