Valued Contributor

Need color suggestions for front door

We are selling a home that we own and I'd like to "freshen" the front door and trim. I am color challenged and not sure what would look good. The house has a stained wood siding that is a warmer dark brown. What do you think would be a good contrasting color for the door? The current color is an olive green. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need color suggestions for front door

Beige, tan.  Something light colored.

Esteemed Contributor

We have a cedar sided house and we have a forest green door.  If you want to, Google on trend accent colors for houses to get more ideas.

Respected Contributor

Turquoise would be a great pop with the dark brown!

Valued Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Beige, tan.  Something light colored.

Thank you! Something to consider!

Valued Contributor

Red

Valued Contributor

@stellabystarlight wrote:

Turquoise would be a great pop with the dark brown!

Thanks! It would!

Respected Contributor

Can you post a picture of the front of your house - or a closeup showing a bit of it with the siding and current front door?  Or would that be weird?  It would make it easier to pick for you, imo.  What style house do you have?  Color of roof? walkways? front stairs? trim? Maybe even coordinate it, meaning make sure it goes with other houses near you, if you can see them easily. 

If it was me, my house, in addition to asking here, I would sit in my front yard and  browse colors while looking at my house and see if something looks good to me.

Also, I'm not sure if you want to consider it or if you'd care, but according to the principles of feng shui, there are certain colors for your front door that are considered most beneficial based on which way the door faces (i.e. north, northeast, south, etc.).  Easily googled, if you are interested in that.

@Marybella 

Valued Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

Can you post a picture of the front of your house - or a closeup showing a bit of it with the siding and current front door?  Or would that be weird?  It would make it easier to pick for you, imo.  What style house do you have?  Color of roof? walkways? front stairs? trim? Maybe even coordinate it, meaning make sure it goes with other houses near you, if you can see them easily. 

If it was me, my house, in addition to asking here, I would sit in my front yard and  browse colors while looking at my house and see if something looks good to me.

Also, I'm not sure if you want to consider it or if you'd care, but according to the principles of feng shui, there are certain colors for your front door that are considered most beneficial based on which way the door faces (i.e. north, northeast, south, etc.).  Easily googled, if you are interested in that.

@Marybella 

@moonandthestars 

I would show you, but I'm nowhere near the house right now and don't have a photo. It's in another state, so I won't be there for another week. It isn't quite as fancy as you are thinking. Four steps up to a landing which is surrounded by a few feet of the house on one side and the garage wall on the other. It does face south, but I just need to make it look fresh. Thanks for your suggestions!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@moonandthestars I may in the minority but I can't stand red doors. I'd stick with something neutral since you are selling. A buyer can always, with little trouble, change the color.