Esteemed Contributor

Need an electric stove recommendation

We've been looking at houses now for a few months.  90% of them have electric kitchens.  I grew up with and prefer gas stoves.  We're in a rental house right now with a gas stove and I'm really going to miss it.

Previousy, we've had electric stoves wiith coils or "glass" tops.  I really detest the coils, because when you turn the heat down on them, the heat doesn't go down immediately, so one has to move cooking to another burner.  Huge energy waster, plus you can't use all 4 burners at one time.

I've had glass tops in 3 houses.  The last one, which happened to be the worst, was in our condo in San Diego.  It was a G.E. stove.  It took FOREVER to boil water, as the heating unit under the glass would only go so high, termperature-wise, then shut down, so I'd have to use another burner turned on high and move the pot over to get the water even hotter.  When that burner turned off, I'd have to move it back to the original burner and on and on and on - and all this to cook pasta for 8 minutes.  Crazy.

I think you can see why I'm seriously not in love with electric stoves.  However, I'm stuck.

Can someone advise me as to which brand of stove is going to be reliable and kind to the cook?  I'd really appreciate some advice here.  Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need an electric stove recommendation

Can you convert over to gas if you found a house you are interested in?

I hate electric stoves also.  Can't cook on them or in them.  I burn up everything.   I am not an expert at boiling water on an electric stove. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I love my GE range with the old style electric elements, but you seem like the kind of person who would prefer an induction cooktop over an element or glass/ceramic top. Induction cooktops are expensive, but really, really good and if money was no object would be my recommendation for everyone. They are a tad pricey however, but they are arguably the best cooktop possible.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

My house came with an electric stove. When I bought a new one, I got electric for that reason. When they installed it, I discovered there was also a gas connection, so if you find a house you love you might check for gas. If there is gas service to the house, a line can be run for the stove.

I have a glass top which I use for additional counter space since mine is limited. I have an induction burner I got and placed on my stove top. It's fantastic and is mostly what I use.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

You can always go for induction with an electric connection instead of an electric stove. Induction cooks quickly and won't burn you if you touch the stove while it is on. You have to have cookware that a magnet will stick to, but it is a real energy saver and cooks quickly.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you gardenman, kachina, tigriss and the first poster (sorry I've fotten your nic) for your advice.

This morning we went out with our agent to view a condo and are in the process of making an offer on it.  We didn't intend to purchase a condo, but it has 1,300 sq. ft. and 2 bathrooms, a dining room, breakfast room, plenty of kitchen cabinets and a humongous living room.  There is absolutely no gas line anywhere in this entire complex, so no possibility of us running a gas line into the condo, if we end up with this property.

It would seem, by all the advice thus far, that an induction stove is what I need.  Though I've no knowledge of them on board, nor do I know if I have any pots and pans that qualify as appropriate to cook with on that surface, will certainly look into such a unit.  We have two appliance stores in our city that offer factory re-build appliances at very attractive prices, that also come with a 6 month warranty, so will check to see if either of them has an induction stove.

Can any of you suggest a brand of cookware appropriate to use on an induction stove?  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Congrats!  Get a kitchen magnet and see if it sticks to the bottom of your pots and pans. If it does you are good to go!

The condo will be a nice break from the maintenance of the house and yard and sounds HUGE! I'm also thinking that it has the perks of a pool that you don't have to clean or fix! That would be worth it to me!

Esteemed Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

Congrats!  Get a kitchen magnet and see if it sticks to the bottom of your pots and pans. If it does you are good to go!

The condo will be a nice break from the maintenance of the house and yard and sounds HUGE! I'm also thinking that it has the perks of a pool that you don't have to clean or fix! That would be worth it to me!

tigriss,

Well, this was a DUH moment!  Of course - use a magnet!  I'm sure my husband has one amongst his tool chests and what not.

I agree about the things you said about the condo.  Though we lived in two in San Diego, this one is humongous in comparison.  Lots of decorating space, which I would love.  I do hope this deal go through.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took love induction cooking.  I only have a portable single burner but since my electric stovetop is not functioning, I use it 100% of the time and it works great.  If I ever get my dream kitchen, I would love to have a full induction cooktop.

The magnet trick is the best way to determine if cookware will work.  I at first thought it was "all" stainless steel but unfortunately found that not to be true so I always carry a magnet tucked into my purse in case I run into a pot that I must have.

I hope you get the condo, it sounds gorgeous!

eta:  sfnative, I apologize if you already know this but one of the best features about an induction cooktop is that you can cook at a precise temperature.  Today I am going to attempt to deep fry a piece of cod and can set the temperature at whatever the instructions say is the best temp and it holds it perfectly.  I think a gifted cook such as yourself would really enjoy this method of cooking!

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

I took love induction cooking.  I only have a portable single burner but since my electric stovetop is not functioning, I use it 100% of the time and it works great.  If I ever get my dream kitchen, I would love to have a full induction cooktop.

The magnet trick is the best way to determine if cookware will work.  I at first thought it was "all" stainless steel but unfortunately found that not to be true so I always carry a magnet tucked into my purse in case I run into a pot that I must have.

I hope you get the condo, it sounds gorgeous!

eta:  sfnative, I apologize if you already know this but one of the best features about an induction cooktop is that you can cook at a precise temperature.  Today I am going to attempt to deep fry a piece of cod and can set the temperature at whatever the instructions say is the best temp and it holds it perfectly.  I think a gifted cook such as yourself would really enjoy this method of cooking!

mtc,

Thank you for the information about induction stove tops.  Also, I really appreciate the information about being able to cook at a precise temperature.  That's new to me.  Must do some reading on this, before we go looking for a unit.  Hope we can get a refurb one from one of the two places in town.