New Contributor

Need advice on dining room set!!!

Hello all,

I purchased a dining set from Wicks(now out of business) 4 years ago. I have small children and let's just say it isn't going to last another 4 years. Having said, that, I'm wondering if you ladies could advise me.

The top of the table is a butcher block style, but very marked up. I don't mind that, but the chairs are bad too. The seats are the same color as the top of the table, but the rest of the chairs are white and the paint is chipping. I'm wondering if I should attempt to paint them another color until I'm ready to purchase a new set. Actually, one of the chairs already broke and so we have a mismatched chair set. It looks cute at cafes, but not so much at my house.

I am not ready to buy a $2000 pottery barn set, or whatever. I've looked on Craigslist, but honestly would either like to fix up this set or find another inexpensive set for now. My kids are still small and I don't want to cringe or be upset when they are doing something.

Any thoughts? I did see a relatively inexpensive set at IKEA, but who knows if that will look any better in 6 months!

Also, does anyone here have 4 different chairs in their kitchen set? I do have other chairs around my house that I've collected over the years.

Thanks,

Heather