Valued Contributor

Re: Need advice on bathroom wall color

If you like blue I would paint your bathroom a light grey with a little  touch of blue in it.

Honored Contributor

For contrast - and refreshing. soothing color -  a light green or light blue.

Or even a light turquoise, which combines the two.  

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I was going to suggest something similar.  My bedroom is painted in this family.  It goes with everything.

Valued Contributor

I think there is a question that hasn't been asked yet.... Are you going to be doing make-up in the bathroom?

The color you choose can make a BIG difference in your cosmetic choices and ultimately in your finished look.

A warm pinky tone may make you look all rosy and healthy, but in daylight you may look like you are pale and in need of blush.

A cool color such as blue or green can trick you into applying more blush and deeper shadows than necessary.

Another thing to consider is the "color" of the lighting in your light fixtures.  Be sure to NOT choose cold white neon type lighting.  Warm bulbs that light you from side to side, not overhead lights, will make putting on make-up easier and more true to life color.

Personally, I love bathrooms in deep rich color, but only in powder rooms, not in a bath where I do my make-up.

A sales woman at your lighting store should be able to help.  Men tend to think a real bright ceiling light is all we need!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

I think there is a question that hasn't been asked yet.... Are you going to be doing make-up in the bathroom?

The color you choose can make a BIG difference in your cosmetic choices and ultimately in your finished look.

A warm pinky tone may make you look all rosy and healthy, but in daylight you may look like you are pale and in need of blush.

A cool color such as blue or green can trick you into applying more blush and deeper shadows than necessary.

Another thing to consider is the "color" of the lighting in your light fixtures.  Be sure to NOT choose cold white neon type lighting.  Warm bulbs that light you from side to side, not overhead lights, will make putting on make-up easier and more true to life color.

Personally, I love bathrooms in deep rich color, but only in powder rooms, not in a bath where I do my make-up.

A sales woman at your lighting store should be able to help.  Men tend to think a real bright ceiling light is all we need!!!

I will be putting on my make-up in the bathroom, but I have a really nice wall mounted surround-light magnified make-up mirror for that.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@NiteStar.  The hints on makeup and color is very good.  I found that a very pale peachy color is an excellent color for skin tones.  We had bathroom like yours, minus the shower and a 24inch sink.  One tip we got from a pro painter was, once you pick a color you LOVE have the mixer at the store  ” Cut it by 50%" they seem to know what it means and the color is perfect. Have fun and give your. Wonderful family Thanks from us for being so LOVING

Trusted Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

@NiteStar.  The hints on makeup and color is very good.  I found that a very pale peachy color is an excellent color for skin tones.  We had bathroom like yours, minus the shower and a 24inch sink.  One tip we got from a pro painter was, once you pick a color you LOVE have the mixer at the store  ” Cut it by 50%" they seem to know what it means and the color is perfect. Have fun and give your. Wonderful family Thanks from us for being so LOVING

Thanks tedEbear for the kind words about my family. Smiley Happy  I wonder what it does mean to "cut it by 50%?.

Respected Contributor

Lots of great advice on this thread.  Is there a way for you to test a bunch of colors?  Perhaps you could get some big white paper placards and paint a bunch of them with the colors you're considering and test them out this way after purchasing small cans of paint.  Some lines sell samples for just a few dollars.  Then you could test the best two or three on the walls.

I find I can't live with bright colors, although the bath is different.  I find them too stimulating.  I have one room that is an office/exercise room that's a light aqua/blue, but the rest of my walls are a pale beige.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People here have posted some beautiful pics and colors and GREAT advice!  Aren't we lucky to have this resource.

I will vote for a light peachy pink tone on  the walls and I'll tell you a sunny story.  We had a salon in town that was fabulous!  It had high arched windows, lots of white woodwork and shutters and was painted the most beautiful pink/peach color.  The sun streamed in and you felt so glamorous and beautiful.  EVERYONE who was anyone went there for at least 10 or 15 years.

Well, they for some unknown reason painted the walls dull, dank, yellowish, pea green, not like the pretty blue/green above.  It was horrible.  It was cold and gloomy and everyone looked green and sallow in the light.  About a year and a half later the salon closed, and I think that green color closed it!  I really do! 

So be sure you have a color that makes you happy, and also in a small bathroom think about how that color will reflect off the walls onto you!  Now this may not be the reason the salon closed, but just me, I couldn't get used to that color ever!  LOL!!!!

I'd look for a color--whatever color you pick--that is a light tint with some brightness to it.  Something that reflects lisht well, and maybe is a warmer shade rather than a cool color.   Actually they make white in a million colors these days!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just another note:  Grey whites make a room feel cooler.