Honored Contributor

Need advice and suggestions --- want to get rid of carpeting

DH and I were talking yesterday and I was surprised to learn that he feels the same way that I do --- he would like to get rid of the existing carpeting which is in the living room and bedrooms!  I was shocked.  He is more old school than me and I never dreamed that he wanted this done.  I figured that he would just say --- either have the stuff cleaned -- again --- or even replaced with new carpeting.

However, as we talked, I started saying that I think it would be a better option to have the  carpeting removed entirely and replaced with some type of faux wood flooring.  I thought it would be easier to maintain and more healthy for us as we both have health issues regarding lung and allergies.  He was in agreement!  

Also, we need to have the flooring replaced in the kitchen.  There is currently this ugly old tile of some type which keeps coming loose and is worn.  I would like some type of easy care inexpensive tyle look alike in there.

I would like to ask for your suggestions.  We do not want to go into a huge expense of getting real hardwood floors for the living room and bedrooms, but would like something which looks like wood but would be healthy, wear well and be easy to clean.  What type of flooring would be a good choice?

For the kitchen, what would you suggest?  I, personally, don't think I want any more tiles as they seems to be more problematic and lift, etc.  I think I'd rather have something that is one piece.  Of course, durability and easy care is important in a kitchen since we spend so much time in there and a lot of --- oooops --- happen!  

Thanks for your suggestions.  I am not knowledgable about flooring at all, and DH is not either and said he would leave the choices up to me! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice and suggestions --- want to get rid of carpeting

What type of floor is under the carpet?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have vinyl wood (look) plank flooring in my kitchen and dining area - love it.  It's beautiful and very easy to take care of.  Plus it's waterproof.  It's Shaw brand.  I would love to get rid of the carpeting in my house - I hate having to clean it.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

This was me a year ago.  I got rid of ALL of the carpeting at once, not a small project.  I have two crazy, scratchy cats and a clumsy BF.  Like you, I could not do real wood for those two reasons.  I was worried about off gassing from other flooring options, and I thought my boy cat (who ripped up ALL of the thresholds) might pick at any seams in laminate.

We picked a wood look tile and did the entire house (minus kitchen and baths, which were done in tile a few years ago).

This is a sample of it on the wall.

The expensive part is the labor, but my guy was amazing and finished the whole house in about 8 days.  It is much better for me (allergy/asthma) for breathing and it is easy to clean.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 ....my only comment is if you live in an area where it gets cold in the winter you may not like the wood type flooring.....I was thinking of doing what you want to do, but our home is on a slab, winter time the family room floor would be very cold and I like to sit on the floor on occasion, same with the upstairs bedroom (you may live in a ranch) but upstairs would be noisy with out carpet.  I would still have to have a large area rug over the non carpeted surfaces...but that's me, everyone is different.

I do understand the comment about lung issues and carpet.

Honored Contributor

I think the best thing you could do is educate yourselves on the different flooring.  Look it up on the internet and/or go to carpet stores and talk to the sales people.  There are beautiful and quality faux wood flooring out there today.

Good luck its quite a project you are going to do.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago we had real wood floors in the bedrooms of our old house.  I loved the look but there are drawbacks.  For one thing, it’s noisy.  If you don’t have an area rug down, it can sound loud an hollow.  Dropping something on the wood floor is louder too and something could break more easily if dropped on it.  Another thing to consider is the design of your home and the climate where you live.  If you have bedrooms over a garage and you live where there are true frigid winters and beastly hot summers, without carpet to provide some insulation those bedrooms could either get very chilly or very warm. JUst something to think about. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs GMTA.  I was typing and came back to find we had similar opinions.  . 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  Yes!!  The wood or tile flooring looks nice, but I do not think it is always practical, depending on where you live and I have never understood the dislike of carpet....(the op did not say that) but when watching house hunter shows people act like carpet is the worst thing ever.  There are also the dust bunnines that I find to be an issue, as I have hardwood in my dining room.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

We recently did our entire house in wood-look vinyl.  It is waterproof, less noise than wood.  There are several grades of this product, we went with a higher quality to avoid any problems down the road.

I love it!  And we always get comments on our beautiful floors.  I chose a medium tone.

Whatever you choose, have fun and good luck!