Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice and suggestions --- want to get rid of carpeting

@AngelPuppy1
It can be confusing and overwhelming when making such an important purchase as flooring.
My advice, narrow down what you want and can afford then go to some local flooring companies. NOT big box stores.
Hone down to a more specific option, then start your homework. Read reviews on line, find out where its made, etc. I have even contacted manufacturers directly to answer my questions!
It's not just the money, it's your time and distribution to your life. No one wants to go through home reno more than they have to.
As my dear friend is having 3400 sq ft of Eng HW replaced after having it installed 7 yrs ago........it is worth the time and effort to get it right the first time.
Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   We have a small ranch home that has an open concept and my husband ripped out the flooring in the kitchen, dining room and living room.  We had Austrailian Cypress prefinished hardwood installed throughout these rooms, and put new carpeting in our 3 bedrooms.  We have a small horse farm and inside pets and the floors even after ten years still look great.  Easy to clean.

Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I looked at Consumer Reports online.  I have a membership.  They have loads of ratings and recommendations for all flooring types.  I don't know how much access you will get without a membership, but it is worth a look.  You could also check out back issues from the library.  They are a very reliable resource.

Trusted Contributor

We tore all of the carpeting out of our home quite a few years ago and haven't looked back.  We are lucky and underneath we had gorgeous hardwood floors througout most of the home.  In the kitchen/dining room there we put in the artificial plank flooring.  So much easier to keep everything clean.