Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice and suggestions --- want to get rid of carpeting

Just wanted to add that we had laminate (Pergo) in the kitchen/dining for 15 years.  Then we had a drain problem in our kitchen - drain leaked and we didn't know for awhile.  Water got under the flooring and it buckled.  That's why we replaced it with the waterproof vinyl planks.  

We have ceramic tile in or bathrooms and shower - pretty but the grout is a pain to keep clean.  The older I get I just want something low maintenance.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It’s been more than 12 years since we got rid of carpet due to severe allergies and COPD issues for my husband and daughters.   

We went with laminate, purchased thru Lowe’s, installed by our neighbor who has a flooring business, and have no regrets.  Our floors look brand new, and I only damp mop them with water and vinegar.   

I agree, once the carpet is gone, and the wood floor goes down, you immediately notice the echo in the room.  That goes away once the furniture goes back in place. I do not use throw rugs in my house.   

The other flooring in my house is ceramic tile.   I wanted durability, and easy to clean.  I can start at one end of the house and swiffer all the way thru to the trash can.   I love my flooring.   

Respected Contributor

I'm replacing carpet, vinyl tiles & ceramic tiles with wood look vinyl flooring by COREtec...they have many grades, styles & colors available, I chose the Plus XL in Montrose Oak & can't wait to have it installed in the living room, kitchen, half bath, staircase & 2 entries. Good Luck with your project OP & once you decide Yes that's the one I want! shop around for the best price...my area stores were $5.68sq ft plus $99. shipping & I found it for $4.99sq ft with FS, a generous discount for the matching shoe moulding - other accessories & a gift card.

Trusted Contributor

We just finished putting vinyl planks downstairs.....love them, except we got dark color. What a mistake, with 3 dogs it shos every dog hair...and i mean Every....!!!!

Super Contributor

For what it's worth, the health benefits alone are worth getting rid of the carpeting.  My mom's asthma was so severe that at one point she was hospitalized because she was going into congestive heart failure.  We even had an air purifier installed that ran through the HVAC on an independent switch.  This was back in the 70's.  The very moment it was suggested carpeting could be contributing to allergies and asthma, our carpet was ripped out in favor of the original hardwood underneath.  There was an immediate and significant improvement.  No amount of vacuuming or shampooing can keep the allergens away completely.  

Honored Contributor

I can't wait to have the carpet removed and replaced with a faux wood product.  My co-worker had it put in her entire house.  Love it.  She has teenagers and dogs giving it a hard workout.  Go for it.  Go to local stores and ask a lot of questions.  

Respected Contributor

I had wood through out my whole home in ky. No regrets. Very easy to maintain and beautiful. Easier to slip into different looks too. Still miss it.
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono 

I like your choice!

We have HW, as does my Dad. 

But, Dad’s laundry is on a slab.  He had  both a waterproof layer, and a felt layer put under vinyl plank looking flooring. Looks good.

@AngelPuppy1 

@Mominohio recently chose some new flooring, and had a good bit of information about it.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I want to thank everyone for your replies!  So confusing and so many choices.  How do you know that a certain type of flooring is healthy?  I hear things about certain flooring and gases and chemicals?  I certainly don't want to have this in my home!!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for any of the major companies that they dealt with such as Empire, etc.?

We once got carpeting in our basement through Lowe's and the experience was terrible!  We did not know that they used outside contractors and they did an absolutely horrible job!!!

Where do you think is the best place to look for recommendations on line?

I thank you so much for all of your tips and suggestions.  I am thinking that the vinyl planks sound very good.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I've always lived in a home that was fully carpeted. I thought that was the norm. Now that hardwood floors are more in style, when we built our cottage 5 years ago, we opted for hardwood throughout (exept bathrooms). It was the best decision we ever made! I always found myself sneezing and had a runny nose. Until we began living here. No more allergy symptoms! So much easier to take care of and I can see if it is dirty/clean. Unlike carpeting that is always dirty, whether you want to believe it or not. Go for it, you won't regret it!

"Pure Michigan"