Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a room painted- Is this a fair price???

My family room is similar in size with he vaulted ceiling.....price is about what I paid 2 years ago...

Esteemed Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

I recently had my entire house painted and the cost was $175.00 per room.

That is a Fl. price, which probably is less than some other parts of the country.

Holy cow, that is cheap!!!

Honored Contributor

I would say $600 is a very, very fair price. Just installing the chair rail properly is a big job. Establishing a level line all around the room, identifying the stud locations, coping the corners, installing the chair rail, filling the nail holes, etc. is all time consuming and I would honestly expect most carpenters to charge aorund $600 just to install the chair rail here in NJ. For that to include the painting, with a vaulted ceiling, is very, very reasonable.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I usually do my own painting but did hire painters when I had the townhouse. It had high ceilings, etc. and I paid $300 per room.  I think this is a fair price but get other estimates. I also check thru the Better Business Burear to see if there are any compliants filed and the rating. It is also good to know if they are insured or bonded.   

Valued Contributor

I think the price is fair.  I do have a concern that you are supplying the paint rollers.  Every contractor that I had doing work in the house, came w/their own equipment.

As others suggested check this person out b/f giving any money.

Honored Contributor

Provided the painter came with good references, I'd say that is a fair price.
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I just got estimate to paint our entire home inc. 10 ft vaulted ceilings. Our villa is 1800 sq ft. We provide all the paint -- 2 estimates were $3,600 and 1 came in at $4,200. 

Im totally shocked how expensive work is here and frankly, I believe it's because there is so much building and construction going on here -- they give ridiculous estimates because they really don't want small jobs!

Honestly, I can't imagine it's that hard (although I couldn't do it) to paint walls...I'm sure it's the ceilings riding up the price. I originally wanted this crappy "popcorn" removed but quotes were $800-1,200 extra! I'll live with them!

When our villa was built , before anything was put in the house they did the primer and first coat of paint - they spray painted that on so , of course they would rather do that than paint with a rollar and brush. After that was all painted they put in the cabinets and the floors etc then only the final finish coats of paint were done with a roller and brush. Finally the moldings were all spray painted outside and then brought in and installed and a quick final coat of paint applied to go over the nails. All the doors were also spray painted outside then brought in and installed. very efficient. When they were building the villas here they would paint several in a day - a quick spray and on to the next one.

Super Contributor

I wouldn't think twice about it for that price.  Just make sure he has good references and check to see if he has pictures of past work.  That is extremely reasonable.  I live in the suburban Chicago area.

Super Contributor

Thank you so much to all who responded! You all were very helpful! I think you convinced me that it is a fair price. I think I will go with him. I already bought the paint, chair rail, and rollers.
Honored Contributor

@151949

I wish villa was new construction but it's 16 yrs old. Unfortunately, all this is new to me as prior to moving here all the homes I lived were new construction and yes painted prior to moving in.

This villa was painted approx. 6 years ago (they left paint info and painters info).  I thought they were 10 ft ceilings but they are 16 ft vaulted ceilings ( I guess that makes a difference).

Between the shock of the costs of new windows and minor things to do I'm learning quickly what things cost to update.