Super Contributor

Need a room painted- Is this a fair price???

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone! I have come to this forum hoping for some helpful input.

I recently purchased a home and want to paint the rooms one at a time.  I usually paint myself.  However, this living room is 20x20 and has a vaulted ceiling.  Also there are 6 windows, a patio door and French doors.  I want a chair rail to be put on the wall with different colors on the top and bottom of the chair rail.

I have bought the paint, chair rail and paint rollers.  The painter will paint the walls as well as paint and install the chair rail.

Since I have never used a painter before I have no idea what is a fair price.  I was quoted $600 for the job.  Is this a fair price.  Thanks so much in advance!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need a room painted- Is this a fair price???

@bichon mom---- I think so, it is a big room.  There is a lot of labor involved, taping around windows and doors, covering floor, etc.  Labor is very expensive nowadays.  However, did you get any other estimates for this job?   How experienced is this painter?  Just a couple of questions to ask yourself.  Others will be here soon and maybe help with other thoughts.----------tedEbear

Esteemed Contributor

My first question is how many estimates have you gotten.  That might give you an idea of the pricing in your area.  Also is this someone who was suggested to you from someone you know.  

Personally for all the work he will do, it sounds fair.  

Valued Contributor

Bichon mom, I realize that prices will vary in different areas in the country, but if I got that quote for doing that room, I would have asked him to have done it yesterday!  lol!

The description of your living room is very similar to mine, and I plan to call for estimates.  I also have several areas that need painted.   I just keep putting it off.  I also have a 2 story foyer that needs done, hallway, etc.

Super Contributor

Thanks for your responses! I have no other estimates as of yet. This person was referred to me by a friend of mine. He is a maintenance worker at the school but formerly had his own painting business. He has done work for many of the teachers. I live in Connecticut if that helps. I also have another person coming next week. He does painting on the side as well.
Super Contributor

I've lived in several areas of the country and I can tell you prices do vary.  Having said that, I know some painters have a "minimum" of what they charge just to come into a home to do a job.  I know one of our jobs was having our shutters painted on our home.  We received three quotes and the top price and the least amount varied $1600.  Please check around.

Honored Contributor

Labor prices vary wildly around the US.   Your question cannot be answered with any accuracy.   We don't even know where you are and it probably wouldn't help if we did. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

When I have hired painters in the past they only use their paint and their brushes and rollers etc.I  never heard of the customer providing them.They leave you a little quart of paint in case you need to do a touch up. I think the cost would depend on where you live.

Honored Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

@bichon mom---- I think so, it is a big room.  There is a lot of labor involved, taping around windows and doors, covering floor, etc.  Labor is very expensive nowadays.  However, did you get any other estimates for this job?   How experienced is this painter?  Just a couple of questions to ask yourself.  Others will be here soon and maybe help with other thoughts.----------tedEbear

Professional painter don't need to tape anything, they don't splatter and they paint the trim slick as a whistle with a brush.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's a fair price.  My ex-BIL is a self employed painter in CT, he'd charge a lot more than that.