Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a new vacuum. Do you like your Shark?

On 12/15/2014 mima said:
On 12/15/2014 ccassaday said:
On 12/15/2014 mima said:
On 12/15/2014 ccassaday said: The shark is a great vacuum. Now we got new carpet and it won't go over it. It's not even thick or shag carpet.

I don't understand what you mean. Does it push too hard? Maybe there are strings wound up in the brush?

No it doesn't go over the carpet. We had the same problem with Dyson on are new carpet upstairs. I don't understand how these vacuums with no height adjustments are so popular when neither of them work on our new carpet. Our carpet upstairs is the new shag so I understand that. But our carpet doesn't as its is just a textured carpet.

I use mine on the new shag. You are suppose to run it with the beater bar turned off so that it isn't hard on the carpet. It pushes hard, but it does work ok.

Mine also works on plush carpet and flat carpet.

Not sure what trouble you are having.

We tried it with the bar off. It won't go. Had the same problem with the Dyson.
Esteemed Contributor

LOVE! I have a rotator lift-away and the rocket ultra light-weight. The Dyson is relegated to a shop vac in the garage. If it dies a slow death, I don't care. I've given away a very expensive Riccar. (I have two big dogs and demand is high for a good one).

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Thanks, everyone, so much. Let me add that this house I'm talking about belonged to my MIL and now we have inherited it. We are going to use it as a get away place. The carpet is twenty seven years old and it is that sculpted plush kind from long ago. It's still in relatively good shape so we are not going to replace it. And it is all over the house! There's not one room with wood or tile. HA!

My MIL had an old Hoover vacuum that must have been 30+ years old. It was impossible to push!!!!! IMPOSSIBLE, I tell you. Well, maybe Arnold Schwarzenegger could have pushed it, but he would've worked up a sweat. I took my old Oreck with me the last time I went, but one of the prongs broke off when I plugged it in. Hubby can fix it, but I decided with so much carpeting, it would be well worth the money to get a brand new vacuum. And I have read a lot of good things about Sharks.

Thanks for the replies. And you don't think this plush carpet would be a problem with any of the Shark's, do you?

pup

Valued Contributor

I have a Dyson stick that won't even pick up kitty kibble. Got a Shark and it has amazing suction. The only think I don't like is that it's not as lightweight as they claim. It's actually rather heavy. But it does the job.

Trusted Contributor

Shark for sure. Love it! Wouldn't buy any other.
Contributor

I bought a refurbished Dyson animal from woot many years ago for a great deal. I really liked it except using the attachments was awkward. My main need was for cleaning up tracked kitty litter but my son always wanted to use it at his house. I bought a Shark because they claimed it picked up well. It didn't do anything on the cat litter so I gave it to him and got my Dyson back. He reported that he didn't like the Shark because it didn't pick up anything. I can't remember what model it was light. It did ok with carpet but not the hard floors. Really nice mom that I am, I let him keep the big Dyson and I bought the Dyson motorhead for me. It is great for cat litter and the small jobs that I mostly need. Wish the Shark had worked on cat litter better.

Honored Contributor

I have a Dyson and will never get another one. My next vacuum will be a Shark. I really like the one that's advertised so much right now, where the canister lifts off. You don't have to fight attachments. My SIL loves hers. But buy it locally. Walmart and Target have it for a lower price than Q.

Trusted Contributor

Winner! The very best.
Respected Contributor

We have a basic one that is a couple of years old, the Navigator I think, and I love it! I use it mainly downstairs on hard wood and one room of carpeting and it does a great job. When my upstairs Dyson dies, I would replace it with a Shark.

Regular Contributor

I have the Shark Navigator Professional Lift Away and I love it.