Regular Contributor

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mattress?

Valued Contributor

latex lasts for many decades.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a new mattress

[ Edited ]

I've bought 8 mattresses (over the years) from a local mattress store (not furniture store). I've been happy with all of them - and I'm able to talk to the salesman in the store and describe what I'm looking for -- and price range -- and I've been very happy. I got free delivery and setup -- and they took my old mattresses. 2 yrs ago, I purchased a new queen-size mattress and boxspring - and was told I could exchange it within a certain period of time. For my master bedroom and my 3 other bedrooms.

I recommend googling the names of your local mattress stores and check them out on Yelp. Not all mattress stores get good reviews.

The other option is to order from costco dot com - they have many mattress choices on their site - and they're great about returns.Always read the reviews.

Honored Contributor

Consumer Reports recommends that you go to a store and lay on one before you buy it. They also suggest, if you purchase one on-line especially, that it has a good return policy in case you need to return it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Modern Sleep Cool Gel Memory Foam

Trusted Contributor

My question is if I order a new mattress from Costco.com and it's based on their excellent return policy, what do I do with my existing mattress while I test out the new one??  I live in a 1 BR apt and don't have room to store my old mattress.

I'm also interested in buying a new recliner chair and have the same question.  What do I do with the present chair and ottoman while I'm testing out the new one?

These purchases are in conjunction with a probable total knee replacement surgery in the Fall.  My mattress is 14 years old and my lounge chair and ottoman are 10 years old and while I'm recuerating I think new ones are in order.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jagk    I own a memory foam with a 20 year warranty and it is not hot.  That is one thing you have to make sure of is not a hot memory foam mattress.  My suggestion is to get a mattress that gives you at least a 10 yr. warranty.  Also take into consideration what you prefer -- memory foam, coils, springs, hard, soft, inbetween?

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

We love our Sleep Number mattresses and have them in each of our bedrooms. One is over 10 years old (probably closer to 20). It doesn’t even have numbers, but still works like a charm. The others aren’t quite as old (they’ve got numbers). All are very comfortable, adjust easily and allow us to get a good night’s sleep without a ton of bells and whistles.

Esteemed Contributor

Here are my top 3 depending on your budget:

Sleep Number bed. (great mattress and lasts a very lone time)

Serta (Classic traditional mattress and well made--lasts)

Aero Bed--Highly underated for a good nights sleep

Runner up: Love Sac products.  Products are well made and very versitle. Lasts a long time.

Respected Contributor

@jagk wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mattress?

We have always had good luck with Serta's.  We need a new mattress too but may go in a different direction.  We're really wanting an adjustable bed.  I know they're pretty expensive, so it's not in the budget right now.