Trusted Contributor

Need Paint Color Suggestions for Bedroom

I am in the mood to paint my bedroom and want to do it in the next two weeks because I am off for Christmas.

Went to Benjamin Moore and picked up paint chips. I have newer dark purple drapes (it gets afternoon sun and I like a dark cave).

I also have a new dusty purple bedspread that I have not used yet. I want something that is a pale, dusty purple and not a violet purple.

I will be ordering a new padded headboard in a color yet to be determined. I am thinking ivory.

I found a chip I like called Antique Pearl that looks nice. I want color but not dark because of the darkened drapes.

Will be heading out today to Sherwin Williams to see what they have.

I don't know how the purple started, but I seem to have been drawn to that color over time!

Any suggestions or pics appreciated!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Paint Color Suggestions for Bedroom

We just painted all wall except bedrooms and we knew we wanted light grey. So we went to Home Depot and got several small containers of paint (they used the numbers from the cards). We put paint stripes vertically on the wall to see what the color would look like. Did the same thing to the mantel and built in shelves. I'm glad we did because the color I originally wanted to use was to close to trim and we wanted more of a contrast.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A light gray and perhaps a dusty purple on the wall where the bed is to give contrast, an accent wall. Maybe the headboard in a light gray.

Respected Contributor

In this weeks Woman's World Magazine it has any article on Blue and White for the bedroom it is a light  blue color shows a bedroom in blue. Plus blue = instant calm!. I need this color in my bedroom!! Happy painting on  whatever color you decide on. Post back what color  you did it in.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Can you post the paint chips so we can vote? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sherwin Williams functional gray with a light gray headboard. Or a light dove gray paint. Our house is SW functional gray we are building. It’s a nice medium gray.

Trusted Contributor

I am not drawn at all to any shade of grey. My floors are tile and are a color that would not work with grey.

Valued Contributor

Stick all the paint chips in various parts of the room to see how they change with the light.  Or buy the small jars of test colors that you are liking and paint blocks on a poster board.  Same thing - hang them up, see how you like them during the day and at night.

Super Contributor

I have several shades of purple in my bedroom, and just had it repainted in a shade called "Bedazzled", light lilac, but I wouldn't call it pastel.  I love it!  Don't know who makes it, but the chip came from Lowe's.  Matches a shade in a couple water-color paintings I have there.

Honored Contributor

I would shy away from the ivory headboard.  Blues, grays and purples are cool colors and ivory is generally not.  It might just clash unless it is NOT a warmer shade--which is sometimes hard to find. 

You COULD warm it up a little with a pale dusty green wall and find some accent fabric with greens, purples and blues to pull it all together.