Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need New Washing Machine--Agitator or Not?

I have Speed Queen washer/dryer.  No problems.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

i have never really hurd people talk about speed queen washers but on here there is allways rave reveiws so i looked them up on speed queen website. wow really well made and looked really good.

Respected Contributor

@dmk2 If you go to the speed queen website, you will see that their front loader and dryer are stackable. On the front loader's page, you can ask them questions. One of them is about if their machines mold like other front loaders. They replied that the deisgn doesn't create that issue. Since they make machines for laundry mats, front loaders have been being used there for ages, so they have had time to perfect them.
Super Contributor

We moved recently and bought a new washer without an agitator. We have owned a washer with an agitator, a front load washer and now one without the agitator. Never, ever, ever again would we purchase a washer without an agitator. It is constantly going out of balance and stops until you redistribute the wash load. But the worst part is when we wash sheets; they get spun into long, twisted ropes and hold water, even after the multiple spin cycles are done. Its a high end, expensive washer and both my husband and I just hate it. We have only owned it a year and we are considering buying a different washer. I'm 61 years old and have been doing laundry all of my life, so I'm not a newcomer to this rodeo. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I purchased a new washer from Sears (as I had a sears credit card) and the machine is a Kennmore and i swear it DOES NOT clean the clothes well.

My husband has a skin condition which makes a "slight" smell in his clothes sometimes and after I washed a few loads I could still smell it, that is when I realized that non agitator's don't work for everyone.  if I could do it again I would get me a "QUEEN" and I still might.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

i like my maytag no agitator washer but there are a ton of people that are very unhappy with them.now living at my inlaws we kinda like her agitator washer better.

Trusted Contributor

I had a Maytag Neptune front loader for several years. Got rid of that and got a Whirlpool Cabrio top loader w/o agitator. Hated it. Clothes didn't get clean, had to constantly re-balance loads, clothes got holes in them and were twisted ropes.

Replaced everything with a Speed Queen top load w/agitator. The way doing laundry was meant to be! Solid. Well-built USA. They last. Clothes are clean. Cycles are fast and efficient.

Govt will make Speed Queen comply with regulations on all machines sold after 2017, so get one now. I hope these machines will be the last I ever buy. And knowing their quality and dependability, that could very well happen!

Respected Contributor

When my sister was looking to replace her front loader with her third motor needing replacing, the "impailer"/no agitator models were pretty but the Lowe's attendent said that you had to load them in a circle around the little nub that is in the center and not just toss them in or it would get out of balance.  My sister knew my BIL would not load it properly, so she got a plain old agitator model that he could just toss clothes in and set the dials as needed.  No problems with it, and it doesn't have a locking lid, so when something get dropped on the way to the washer, she can just toss it in right then.

Valued Contributor

I have a Speed Queen washer and dryer that I bought in 2014 when we moved into our current house.  Prior to this, I had a Maytag front loader and matching Maytag dryer.  They worked ok, but before we moved into our current house, our belongings were in storage.  When they delivered my Maytags, the washer stunk to high heaven and there was something wrong with the dryer.  I tried using washing machine cleaner to get the stink out of the washer, but nothing would work.  I had read about the Speed Queens and promptly purchased a set.  I absolutely love them.  I am also very glad that I got them when I did considering the new EPA regulations.  Maybe the POTUS will roll them back so Speed Queen won't have to comply.  Sounds like there may end up being sort of a "black market" for older Speed Queens.  I've told my husband that I love my Speed Queens so much that I wish somebody would come up with other appliances that are made in America with the no-nonsense approach.  They keep adding all these crazy gadgets to household appliances that just add to the cost but contribute to them breaking down earlier.  Who in the world needs a refrigerator with a TV or a Keurig on it?  I think there would be a market for simple, but well-made appliances.  I'd be first in line to buy.

Frequent Contributor

If I had to do it over again I would get an agitator. I have had  both an HE front loader and currently have an LG top loader HE.  I personally don't think they clean clothes as well as the older washing machines.