Respected Contributor

Re: Need New Washing Machine--Agitator or Not?

I have a Maytag no agitator washer.  It was in the house when we moved in 4 years ago?  My towels are fine, my sheets are fine and my clothes are clean.  It was weird at first seeing my sheets like a deflated parachute  but my laundry is clean so I'm satisfied.

Respected Contributor

Three months ago I got rid of my front loader Kenmore washer along with the Kenmore dryer.

I absolutely hated the front loader.   It wasn't that old but I could no longer stand the moldy rubber boot and the smell that seemed to permeate every towel that I laundered.

I purchased a Speed Queen top loader washer with an agitator along with a Speed Queen dryer.

They are just the best.   More expensive than most W/D, but well worth the extra cost.

I'm just sorry that I waited so long to buy a Speed Queen.  I put up with that lousy front loader longer than I should have.

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@Mominohio. 2017 is the last of them. See my post.

@Nomorebirthdays

Thank you! I had heard this several years ago, and was hoping things had changed. I've been considering just ordering one and putting my current washer in the garage and save it 'in case'. 

I will be checking up on this and making a purchase if I need to! 

Valued Contributor

Ive said it on here 40 times. A SPEED QUEEN! Ive had front loader and no agitator. The Speed Queen is the old MOM AND POP style back when you had 10 kids. You can open the door and throw things in, it has an agitator, everything fits including large down comforters and bedspreads, it fills completely and most of all it is MADE IN THE USA. Mechanically it is really very simple so very very little repair issues. You cannot go wrong with the SPEED QUEEN.

Beckyblu

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I don't  need the government or the conservation police telling me how to manage my water usage. I have my own well and septic, and I have to do that on my own.

Many people say that they are washing the same load two and three times to get them clean with the low fill washers, so what is the real savings? Nothing.

Amen, MIH,

I also will not purchase the latest model of my auto until they discontinue that ridiculous "warning" system that detonates if it feels you are not driving green ??!! It is my business if I want to "waste" gas, just as it is my business if I'd rather flush my 2 gallon toilet vs the 1 gallon ones. I know people who do need to wash their clothes twice with the HE washers. Basically all they do is toss your clothes around in about an inch of tepid water. Ridiculous. The Nanny State is out of hand.

Regular Contributor

Buy a Speed Queen! 

3 years ago purchased a high end toploading Kenmore (with a locking

lid and without an agitatior).  Several months ago, the locking mechanism

on the lid quit working, therefore washer would not start.  Didn't bother

to investigate how much to get it fixed.  Have never before had such

strong feelings about an appliance - I hated this washer from the

get go!  The annoying locking lid - I'd find something at the last minute

I wanted to add, then had to wait while it went through a series of clicks

so I could lift the lid!  Why the heck would a washing machine need a

locked lid?  Without the agitator, the washed clothing was plastered

to the bottom of the drum - sheets and towels in the form of a huge

donut that I'd have to pry from the bottom.  Anyway, called a local

appliance store, explained what I wanted (simple dial, no agitator,

no lid lock) and was immediately told to buy a Speed Queen, the

store's best selling washer.

Speed Queens are more expensive but built to last (25 yr. guarantee)

and were originally built, I was told, for laundromats.  It's now been

4 months, and I love this washer.  Only wish I hadn't waited so long

to replace the Kenmore.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a $299 Hotpoint with agitator and it works very well.  Takes my king comforters, gets clothes clean.

It is not tons of water, rather it is agitation that gets soil out of fabric.  Think:  washboard.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Our appliance repair nman is also my cousin.My old GE rusted thru and the tub fell out - no fixing that - so he went with me to the appliance store and picked out a very inexpensive Hotpoint - all mechanical - no electronics, top loader with agitator. Unfortunately, it does not have a soak cycle which I always liked in my old machines and it doesn't fill very full so I end up having to do many small loads.It takes me an entire day to wash a weeks laundry.

He is really anti electronics on appliances but I sometimes wonder if that is more because he just can't fix them, and not really because they are a bad buy.

Honored Contributor

I read that this is the last year Speed Queen is going to get away with not complying with the water conservation all the other machines do, so next years Speed Queens will not fill any deeper than any other machine.

Honored Contributor

I love my speed queen, those front load machines are known to save water, but i had one and i did not like it, this speed queen washes so fast , clothes are clean   i think it uses less water than the front loaders.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.