Respected Contributor

Re: Need New Washing Machine--Agitator or Not?

I recently went to a top load whirlpool cabrio. I threw away my samsung front loader. I will never have a front loader again.Even though I wiped the rubber gasket down, I got mold on mine. The cabrio is wonderful, it does not have an agitator but it does have a "deep water" mode where the washer fills. 

Trusted Contributor

Speed queen is the only one I could find. I can choose the water level, no lock on the lid, some you can't stop to add a wayward sock. No special detergent. No spray rinse, whatever that is. It was about 940. With the tax, that was a shock, I think my last one was less than 300. 

2017 is the last year the will be allowed to make these, EPA regulations. Dishwashers are next.

I love it.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio. 2017 is the last of them. See my post.

Honored Contributor

Buy only a speed queen,i love my washer.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

BTW I got it at appliance  store, Amazon has them, speed queen commercial heavy duty. Two different people said it would outlast me, then delivery guy said it. I am not that old lol.

Valued Contributor

I went through this a few weeks ago when my washing machine died.  I love anything new in appliances and bought a Whirlpool HE machine without an agitator when they first came out.  I even commented once on a post on this forum that I would never go back to an agitator.  Well -- scratch that.  When my washer died I called THE appliance repair person here.  A woman who has been doing this for 40 years.  She said there is only one machine on the market now that she would recommend.  Speed Queen.  Not what I wanted to hear because I was looking forward to getting whatever the latest and greatest new machine was -- with lots of bells and whistles.  I started asking around and all everybody talked about was Speed Queen.  A friend said that he and his wife had just gotten a new Maytag the week before -- and added that he was sorry because he had just seen an article about Speed Queen.  Here it is:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/this-american-made-washing-machine-is-so-good-it-has-a-cul...

I am very happy with my new Speed Queen. I got it at our local appliance store.  It does something that my machine without an agitator didn't do.  It gets our clothes clean!

Honored Contributor

I have a Bosch front loader; I like it okay for the most part, but wouldn't pay good money to have another one just like it.  As soon as it dies, I will buy a traditional washer with an agitator and multi water levels.  

We wash an average of 20 loads of laundry a week here, and it takes a lot of bleach and white vinegar to keep this machine clean and odor free.   The scum that builds under the plastic between the glass door and drum is neverending.   If I wash more than 4 bath towels, I run the machine thru 2 complete cycles with extra rinse to make sure the towels are clean and soap free before drying.   

If you really want to see to see how much water your clothes are actually washed in, stop the washer completely during a run when you are cleaning the machine with bleach or white vinegar.   This way there are no clothes in there and you can actually see how much water is rolling around---it's not much.  

My machine is not a good machine for washing a single item, as in I bought a new tunic that I want to wear tomorrow.   If I set my wash setting on Permanent Press, cold water, with extra rinse, I never know how long it's going to take for that cycle to finish.   Normally, 30 minutes, but depending on the sensor, it might actually take 2 hours for the machine to stop spinning, release the door latch so I can get my tunic out.   No more machines like this for me!

Respected Contributor

One thing you can do to improve the cleaning of your clothes in any washer is stop using fabric softener and use white vinegar instead. The white vinegar removes the soap residue and suprisingly, doesn't leave the clothes rough, but soft as if you used the residue building fabric softeners.
Respected Contributor

I forgot....Speed Queen are MADE IN AMERICA!
Esteemed Contributor

I am another in the Speed Queen camp.  I had a Whirlpool Cabrio that broke down after 7 years-the shortest time I ever owned a washer in my life and I am 60.   The repairman told me it would cost a fortune to repair (independent repairman).  He recommended the Speed Queen to me.  He had absolutely nothing to gain by this recommendation-he did not work for the only place in our town that sells these.  Have known him since he was a kid and known his father for 40 years.  Will always trust them for their opinions on appliances.