Regular Contributor

Need New Washing Machine--Agitator or Not?

After 20 years, my Kitchen Aid washer is dying.  I have read so many negative reports about the new-style washers that I am afraid of them.  I know how to do laundry, and I like to adjust the settings as I feel they are needed for each particular load.  Today's machines seem to be made for people who have no idea how to wash clothes.  It seems that even appliances are being dumbed down.  

Any opinions on agitators or not?  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need New Washing Machine--Agitator or Not?

Everything I've heard or read, including reports here from owners, recommends the Speed Queen washer.  Apparently they're a little more expensive, about $900., but worth the price.  Ive heard they must be special ordered.  I'd definitely go for an agitator. 

I also have a Kitchen Aid washer that is nearing 20 years old.  I was hoping it would last forever.  Sorry to hear it may not. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

SPEED QUEEN

Super Contributor

We just replaced our Kenmore washer that had NO AGITATOR.  It wrecked all our towels and put holes in them.  I cannot tell you how omany towels it ruined.  Never again.

We recently went with a GE washer WITH agitator and we are doing well with that.

Honored Contributor

Speed Queen does indeed come very highly recommended. It still has an agitator and fills fully.

I have a GE that is several years old, and I can say that I won't be without a full fill washer with an agitator and a hot water choice for as long as I can get my hands on one. When they stop making them, I'll look at used ones.

I don't  need the government or the conservation police telling me how to manage my water usage. I have my own well and septic, and I have to do that on my own.

Many people say that they are washing the same load two and three times to get them clean with the low fill washers, so what is the real savings? Nothing.

Valued Contributor

My 20 year old Whirlpool was still working well but had a little rust in the tub. We bought the Maytag Bravos with the short agitator. It lasted only 4 years. The bearing went bad. We now have a front load Whirlpool Duet with steam. I said I would never buy a front load but I ran out of choices and my friend has had one for 9 years. I am surprised how well it cleans. It uses much less water and detergent.Even my whites come out great. It has the steam option if you need to clean something that is extra dirty. The secret to the front load machine is to use very little detergent. I only use a Tablespoon of the HE detergent. And I wipe off the rubber around the front after using. I do leave the door open for it to dry. I heard horror stories of mold and smell but I have never had a problem. I didn't want a Speed Queen. 

Honored Contributor

I love my top load Whirlpool Cabrio with no agitator. It uses less water and electricity. It spins so well my drying time is cut in half.

Respected Contributor

After my ancient GE washer stopped working - and flooded the laundry room - I bought a Maytag and am happy with it.  It is a top loading and the agitator looks very different than my old one, it's a lot smaller.  But it does a good job on getting things clean.  I got it at Lowe's and it was under $500.   

Respected Contributor

Speed Queen is a great mechanical machine. If I can get one locally at our small town, less than 3000 people, electrical supply store, then you could buy one just about anywhere within driving distance. The prices do range, so you can get one for $400 and up the last time I checked. My sister had a Samsung front loader, which did pretty much spin the clothes dry, but it went through 3 motors. She now has a top loading washer with full agitator. I still have my 17 year old Armana with mechanical dials.
Esteemed Contributor

Honest Question:  how does an non-Agitator operate?   (I haven't even seen one = inside)        My Whirlpool is doing great - of course, it has an AGITATOR!   (SMILE)