Respected Contributor

We bought a new one a llittle over 3 yrs ago from Lowes - got a Whirlpool French Door type.  Ice maker (wouldn't be without) but no ice/water in the door.  We got the 3-yr extended warranty.  I knew I wanted a French Door type - just had to measure the width, height, and depth.  We've been very happy with it.  I like it much better than my old side-by-side - never had enough room in the freezer.   Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe  Completely agree about a side by side.  The condo we bought has a relatively new one so I don't want to replace it but the freezer section is the pits.  Would never buy one myself.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Measure what you can but look inside and record the name and whatever is on the inside label if there is one.  Then take a few pictures with your cell phone if you have one that will do that.  And perhaps you can measure the space it is in instead of the fridge itself.  Most of standard.  I have a cabinet or counter size which means it is not as deep and therefore does not stick out.

Respected Contributor

I measured the space my new fridge had to fit in...the old fridge was considerably smaller than the new one I wanted, but the space was built for a bigger one. Just remember, if the space is say 40" wide, the fridge will have to be a bit smaller than that to fit. 

We got a white French Door Samsung...no icemaker, no water, no anything "fancy". Very basic, except it does have some controls for the inner bins. I love that thing! The freezer doesn't hold a ton of stuff, but we have a large chest freezer as well, so that's not a problem. It's 5 years old and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it--and will happily buy that same brand again when I need a new fridge.

I hate side-by-sides, too. You almost have to take everything out to get anything from the back, and a lot of larger items just don't fit. I really like having the freezer on the bottom now. It just makes more sense for me, as I get into the refrigerator a lot more than I get into the freezer.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for all your help. I have a roomie who uses the top shelf in my freezer. I had a friend come over to see what's wrong with my freezer and he noticed that my roomie placed 2 frozen pot pies at the back of the shelf - too close to the vent that keeps the freezer cold. So my roomie moved his pot pies to another shelf in the freezer. The only things that melted were several yogurt pops from Costco  The other food in my freezer still seems frozen - and the ice cubes are also frozen. 

I may not have to buy another refrigerator right now.

Lucky me!!!!

It's a Whirlpool, 24 yrs old, so I don't expect it to last too much longer.

Years ago, u could just go to the store to buy a big appliance --- now u have to check everything out, on-line because most get bad reviews. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kivah , that’s great news!  LM