Esteemed Contributor

Need Lowes kitchen cabinet recommendations

We’re going to remodel our kitchen and we’re looking at having Lowes do the job. They have various cabinet makers – Kitchen Craft, Diamond, Shenandoah and two others. We want to get the best one but the salesman kept saying they’re all equally good and it depends on what you choose. My husband doesn't believe that.  Do any of you have recommendations as far as the best cabinetry at Lowes? Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Lowes kitchen cabinet recommendations

We have used KraftMaid in a remodel and were very happy with the quality.  Shanandoah's quality also looked very good.

Valued Contributor

I don't recommend you get Lowe's at all to do your kitchen.  They use different subcontractors.  I had a person who worked at Lowe's tell me not to get them to do my kitchen.  You will be much better off getting a private contractor to do it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go with all HARD wood.  I say this because we looked into using Lowes and Home Depot and they use cabinets with pressed board  inside.  They also used veneers which looke fake to me.  I found a man in my town that sells and installs hardwood cabinets.  I was thrilled when it was done and my neighbors used him, too.  Just remember when your doors start coming out of the hinges, there are only so many times you can sc*ew them back in before the pressed wood just gives out.  Please do yourself a favor and look into real hardwood cabinets.  They were the same price, too.  They will last so much longer. 

Trusted Contributor

I agree with the other poster -- don't use Lowe's.  I'd look for a local company.

Respected Contributor

I disagree about using Lowes - they put siding on my house and couldn't have done a better job.  Cleaned up after themselves, were extremely polite, and the company called me regularly to make sure the job was up to my standards. 

Esteemed Contributor

@henderson wrote:

I agree with the other poster -- don't use Lowe's.  I'd look for a local company.

Every Lowes is different and each contractor is different who works for Lowes. My Lowes has an installer who has worked for them for 20 years (in addition to his own company), he is excellent.  Have to judge on an individual basis.

Honored Contributor

You need to find out who Lowes is going to contract out to do your kitchen.  Then you must do research on the contractor.  I would start w/Yelp & Angie's List.  Then ask around for "recommendations."

As others have mentioned, each Lowes is different as well as Home Depot.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Honestly, we used a kitchen designer.His designs were unique and inspired. He made every inch of our kitchen useful.The cabinets were all 100% red oak and beautifully constructed. I wanted a country kitchen and he delivered with bead board  cabinet doors and other styles that were appropriate to what I wanted. In the end - he was only $1200 more than just having a contractor put in a standard kitchen -and he doubled the function of my small kitchen. I would never redo a kitchen without using a designer to plan it for me.

Esteemed Contributor

If it's within your budget I would look at companies that custom make them. They will be better quality and be all wood. Plus they will help you with a designer .