Contributor

Need Advice - Top Down/Bottom Up Window Shades

Hi everyone! I hope someone can steer me in the right direction on this problem.

I have two top down/bottom up room darkening pleated window shades from Next Day Blinds. I love them because I have a bedroom that faces east and in the summer these shades have really kept the room cooler and light out. My problem is that I purchased them with a regular cord system that raises and lowers the shade and the windows are fairly large (84" tall and about 48" wide). At least once every 3 or 4 months, one of cords breaks and I have to wait a couple of weeks for a repair person to come out and repair it. I think it would have been better to have gotten an actual electrical mechanism but the cost for that is exorbinate - it adds about $500 to the cost of each shade.

I wondered if anyone has had a similar problem or has windows this size with another type of shade (manufacturer) that hasnt' had these issues? I really need something with a top down feature since I'm in a townhouse and need the privacy. This feature allows me to let light in but I can maintain privacy.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!