Honored Contributor

Re: Need Advice On Hardwood Floors......

Okiebug, we don't have a Lumber Liquidators near where I live, but I'll google it; there is probably one in downtown San Diego. Hearing how your floors have stood the test of time with your family and pets, I may even consider going wood in my kitchen and bathrooms too, we'll see. I love older homes; yours sounds lovely in the country and all. Thank you for stopping by to reply; I appreciate it!

~H~
Frequent Contributor

Helen I have had hard wood floors installed in 2 houses. My advice is to bring home samples and look at them in all lights. I have cherry cabinets and furniture and chose cherry floors. Some were to red, some to dark, on and on.

I question those who steam their floors. Water and steam can cause the wood to lift. I only use products made for hard wood on my floors and Swiffer daily!

We are starting to build a new house and I will use the same cherry flooring in it. Love it!

Honored Contributor

Irshgrl31201, I'll check out your link when I finish here. Can't wait to see. I will be getting some area rugs, too for added "warmth" to the rooms. Yours sound beautiful. I do want the wide planks and "beveled" I'm sure would be nice. The only time I really feel my carpets are clean is right after they've been done. Unfortunately, all the vacuuming you do, never really keeps them that way. With wood, I'll always know how clean they are. A central vac would be great to have. Like I mentioned, I'll probably go with a medium dark wood. Thank you for your thoughts and for posting the link.

Helen

~H~
Honored Contributor

Thanks HUENEME GIRL! I will definitely ask for samples to bring home, so I can see how the color will look against my furniture and in the different lighting. Makes a lot of sense. I, too, have a lot of cherry and darker wood throughout, so I want to be sure what I choose goes well.

Best of luck with your new house!

~H~
Super Contributor

On 10/5/2014 HUENEME GIRL said:

I question those who steam their floors. Water and steam can cause the wood to lift. I only use products made for hard wood on my floors and Swiffer daily!

I can fully understand your doubts, not ever having steamed your floor. But interestingly, the steam dries virtually instantly, giving the floors less contact with water than washing! I figure if it's good enough for historic buildings, it's good enough for me!

Honored Contributor

Hardwood floors are "in" now and everyone is extolling their virtues. I had my carpet removed a few years ago and cork floors installed. I have three big hairy dogs. I'd say my floor maintenance chores have doubled. Everything they track in plus that excess hair show up like a sore thumb. It's so much easier to run the vacuum on carpet rather than vacuuming and now mopping and occasionally buffing the floors. I regret my decision to remove the carpeting. Seems like all I do these days is clean floors.

If I were re flooring now, I would strongly consider the new vinyl planks which are almost indistinguishable from hardwood. I was watching House Hunters one night when a buyer asked the Realtor about the hardwoods. The Realtor said they were not wood; they were vinyl.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 10/5/2014 kachina624 said:

Hardwood floors are "in" now and everyone is extolling their virtues. I had my carpet removed a few years ago and cork floors installed. I have three big hairy dogs. I'd say my floor maintenance chores have doubled. Everything they track in plus that excess hair show up like a sore thumb. It's so much easier to run the vacuum on carpet rather than vacuuming and now mopping and occasionally buffing the floors. I regret my decision to remove the carpeting. Seems like all I do these days is clean floors.

If I were re flooring now, I would strongly consider the new vinyl planks which are almost indistinguishable from hardwood. I was watching House Hunters one night when a buyer asked the Realtor about the hardwoods. The Realtor said they were not wood; they were vinyl.

Kachina624, thanks! I have pets too, so that was one of my concerns. I've not heard of "cork" floors, or the vinyl you mentioned. I'm sorry you've had trouble keeping up,with your floors. That must be so disappointing. I will check out vinyl flooring as I'm curious to see.....Helen
~H~
Respected Contributor

JMO ~ Hardwood floors all the way. Main floor and upstairs is all wood (bathrooms are tiled). We had to have carpet in the basement as you can't put wood over concrete without a lot of expensive stuff done to the concrete.

We have two "very hairy" dogs, and a cat, plus a parrot. So easy to keep clean for me compared to carpet. I would never go back.

Best of luck to you.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

On 10/5/2014 Mistic said:

JMO ~ Hardwood floors all the way. Main floor and upstairs is all wood (bathrooms are tiled). We had to have carpet in the basement as you can't put wood over concrete without a lot of expensive stuff done to the concrete.

We have two "very hairy" dogs, and a cat, plus a parrot. So easy to keep clean for me compared to carpet. I would never go back.

Best of luck to you.

Mistic, thank you! With all your "pets" yours is a great testament!
~H~
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/6/2014 Helen47 said:
On 10/5/2014 Mistic said:

Best of luck to you.

Mistic, thank you! With all your "pets" yours is a great testament!

There are many options in hardwood floors today. You may want to look at http://www.armstrong.com/