Respected Contributor

Re: Need Advice On Hardwood Floors......

On 10/6/2014 nutmeg3 said:
On 10/6/2014 Helen47 said:
On 10/5/2014 Mistic said:

JMO ~ Hardwood floors all the way. Main floor and upstairs is all wood (bathrooms are tiled). We had to have carpet in the basement as you can't put wood over concrete without a lot of expensive stuff done to the concrete.

We have two "very hairy" dogs, and a cat, plus a parrot. So easy to keep clean for me compared to carpet. I would never go back.

Best of luck to you.

Mistic, thank you! With all your "pets" yours is a great testament!

There are many options in hardwood floors today. You may want to look at http://www.armstrong.com/

Everyone is different in what they like, or don't like. That's just human nature. For me, carpet is a nightmare. I can't keep it clean with all the animals (and lots of adult children, as they make messes too ~ LOL).

I have a Shark Vacuum with all the attachments they have. It picks up the long pet hair like a dream. I also use the Swiffer Sweeper dry cloths as another poster mentioned, and they work very well too.

I will say that wood floors makes for a noisier home, as carpet is a noise buffer. That is the only downside for me.

I hope that you can find something that you will love, and will work for your home. Like other posters said, bring home lots of samples of colors and styles.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

I have both. My main residence has carpeting throughout. I'm use to it and like the cosiness of it. My cottage was just rebuilt and I opted for hardwood floors throughout. I really do love hardwood but I still consider it much higher maintenance than caring for carpeting. But I do love both. I've lived in my home for 17 years with light beige, cheap builder-grade carpeting, with 2 long hair cats. My carpeting still looks like new! We invested in a professional carpet cleaner years ago and clean our carpeting every January. Its really paid off because, as I said, it really looks brand new! I do love the look of my wire brushed teak flooring. Its absolutely gorgeous, rich, durable and just plain lovely. Well, not much help here helping you decide but I generally like both hardwood and carpeting. Good luck with your decision.

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I went with a wide-plank laminate in beech, and love the look (as well as the maintenance). I just couldn't afford hardwood, so I looked at engineered hardwood and laminate. Chose the laminate with extra soundproofing layer and have been very happy.

My parents home has laminate throughout -- we ripped up tile and replaced with a light, narrow plank laminate that looks like maple. Pleased with that as well and saved $.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/5/2014 LoopyLoo said:
On 10/5/2014 HUENEME GIRL said:

I question those who steam their floors. Water and steam can cause the wood to lift. I only use products made for hard wood on my floors and Swiffer daily!

I can fully understand your doubts, not ever having steamed your floor. But interestingly, the steam dries virtually instantly, giving the floors less contact with water than washing! I figure if it's good enough for historic buildings, it's good enough for me!

Exactly. If it's true hardwood, not laminate, it does not harm the wood to steam clean. When a choice is made, I'm sure the installer will give you the tips you need to maintain your new floor.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

On 10/6/2014 Helen47 said:
On 10/5/2014 Mistic said:

JMO ~ Hardwood floors all the way. Main floor and upstairs is all wood (bathrooms are tiled). We had to have carpet in the basement as you can't put wood over concrete without a lot of expensive stuff done to the concrete.

We have two "very hairy" dogs, and a cat, plus a parrot. So easy to keep clean for me compared to carpet. I would never go back.

Best of luck to you.

Mistic, thank you! With all your "pets" yours is a great testament!

I live in a rancher with concrete floors and we put in wood flooring. A vapor base goes done first (it's like a thin plastic) then sub-flooring and then the wood floor. We installed bamboo and we love it. We have three dogs and there is a lot of traffic. I would never use a steam cleaner on real wood floors, I just dry mop and use a wood floor cleaner to get the spots where the dogs walk. Very easy to maintain. I do have some area rugs because they help absorb some of the sound and I like having rugs under my feet.

Contributor

We just built a new home and put hardwood in every room, other than the bathrooms. I have my cleaning gal use BONO cleaner every other week. It smells so good and does not damage the hardwood. We were told not to use water or steam on this floor. They sell a mop that you can put the BONO product in and just spray it over the hardwood. Put area rugs in our living room and bedrooms. Love the look and the rugs make it feel so warm and cozy. You don't want to cover up the expensive wood floors so nice size area rugs do the trick. Enjoy!!

Honored Contributor

GOOD MORNING and thank you all for the great suggestions. I think I'm sold on getting real hardwood in a medium color with wide planks. I'll check out the Bono cleaner and definitely the right mop to go with. We've always had carpet and I do think it can't be beat for providing the look of warmth and coziness; it's just so hard to keep clean and germ free. ID2, I'm sure owning a carpet cleaner helps. I will be getting area rugs throughout as suggested by you all. TWOPEAS, you're right. I'm sure instructions for keeping the flooring I select will be provided by the installer. I'm so glad I asked for advice; I feel so much more prepared to start shopping for my floors.
~H~
Respected Contributor

I have hardwood on my main floor and put a beautiful laminate upstairs.

I prefer the laminate, as I have 4 pets and they require NO upkeep- sanding or buffing-

and they clean easily.

Super Contributor

I don't think you can go wrong with hardwood. I have 5"" planks of Brazilian Teak in all rooms except the baths and kitchen. I love it!

I did bring home samples about 3 different times before I made my choice.

I also use Bona to keep the floors clean. This was recommended by the store owner where I made the purchase.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

“There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.” Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

On 10/6/2014 ellaphant said:

I have hardwood on my main floor and put a beautiful laminate upstairs.

I prefer the laminate, as I have 4 pets and they require NO upkeep- sanding or buffing-

and they clean easily.

Ellaphant, this is how I'll probably do it. Hardwood downstairs and stairway and laminate upstairs, as it doesn't get much traffic. So good to know you're happy with the laminate. I have a very active Shih-Tzu and chocolate Lab......thanks!
~H~