Esteemed Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

I can’t because I live with Oscar Madison.😏

He is very sweet but...

I love him with all my heart and if it were not for him I would be homeless. ❤️

When things get messy I remind myself how thankful I am to have a home to clean.

I talk to God and my mother every day and thank them for giving me my beautiful house. I was almost homeless many times during the 1990s and early 2000's. 

Esteemed Contributor

My home's floorplan is very open and all my furniture fits perfectly. I can't stand clutter. 

Honored Contributor

OMG!  There are several words that describe me. Unorganized....well...'controlled organization'.  I usually know where things are but you'd never know it.

The other word would be procrastinator.  My picture would be next to that word.  I put everything off.  I do have issues with people who are late all of the time.  I think it's rude.

Other than that....well..my daughter said she's convinced there's a gene for hoarders....I inherited it from my mother.

I don't hoard gross stuff, just stuff.  Last November my friend cleaned out my one closet (well 2 side by side).  I donated to Goodwill (she said) 64 pair of pants and about that many tops/sweaters, etc.  It barely made a dent.

Just stuff.  I give away so much stuff you wouldn't believe.  I love giving things to friends.  They like getting them.  it's a win win situation.  They help me out and they don't need the money but I often have things they'd like to have that I bought and don't use. 

That's a good thing....right?  Lie to me...say, "Yes".  Ha!

Gotta go, my daughter is coming over.  She's leaving for Hawaii for 3 weeks and wants to see me before she goes.  She's bringing me dinner and I'm going to brag about my new.....wait for it...snow cone machine.  She's an ice eater....I'll probably give it to her when she gets back.  A few months ago I gave her a machine that actually makes small pieces of ice.  She loves it.

Honored Contributor

My "parlor" is organized, but my den (the former dining room) is messy.   HOWEVER, my car is PERFECT!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Two step process for each room: First, get rid of or re-home everything that does not belong in a particular room, followed by cleaning. The less stuff you have everywhere, the easier to keep clean. If you do not use it often or it is not beautiful, why do you have it in the room? Get rid of all extras and duplicates, especially in the kitchen. You don't need every mug you were ever given or acquired.

Seasonal items should be stored out of sight, ideally in the basement and/ or garage.

If it does not fit, you have too many, be it mugs, clothes, etc. 

Have a daily list of chores and a time to do them. Start today. In my case it took the better part of a year and downsizing, but I got rid of a lot of stuff that was no longer right for me and my home looks the best it ever has and takes just minutes every day to keep that way, indoors and out. Everyone living in your home must contribute to the cleaning. You delegate. Go easy, but everyone has something to do daily, not just you!

The things you keep must be good for you right now, not someday. When in doubt, lighten up your life: donate it or toss it.

Take Before and After pictures of each room as you go. You will really appreciate your efforts. Concentrate on one room at a time, but attend to kitchen and bathrooms daily, especially during the hot summer weather. Best to start with kitchen, bathroom, then living room/ entry to your home. for cleaning and organizing. You cannot have a really clean home that is not organized or has too much stuff within. Not possible.

Commit to starting today. Good Luck- you got this!

Honored Contributor

By putting things where they belong. Once we read the newspaper, it goes in the recycling bin in the garage. Also, I spend 20 minutes doing a daily quick cleaning of our house (Swiffer hardwood floors, sanitize bathroom surfaces, vacuum and dust). That keeps everything presentable until I deep clean the house. It goes without saying in our house that beds get made and dishes washed immediately after use.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Neat and Organized Home

[ Edited ]

Ever since I downsized 3 1/2 years ago, I don’t keep anything I don’t need or use. The guest bedroom, closet has my winter coats and jackets, the drawers have extra blankets and pillows. I only have what I use and need in the kitchen. I always put everything back when I use it. 

I bought three  racks of shelves and everything has a place in the garage as well. I purchased a long chest of drawers and have it along the wall in the garage. Perfect for storing Christmas stuff. 

Esteemed Contributor

According to my family it helps if you have OCD.  Perhaps that is not kind?

Honored Contributor

Re: Neat and Organized Home

[ Edited ]

It's easy now since we downsized to a 2 bedroom condo and it's just the two of us.  We are fortunate, we have tons of closet space.  So, it's a matter of picking things up and putting them in their proper place.  If I drink a glass of ice tea in the livingroom, as soon as I finish it, I put the glass in the sink.  We don't wear shoes in the house, so when we come in, we go right to the bedroon and take off our shoes and put them on the shoe rack and slips socks on.  I make the bed immediate after I shower and dress.  Dishes never sit on the dining table, as soon as the meal is over, one of us tidies up and loads the dishwasher.  It takes effort to stay orderly and neat but the good part is that once you start, it becomes second nature.  You don't even have to think about it.  It was harder when we had kids and a big house and pets.  But I kept things as orderly and neat as possible buy having a schedule and sticking to it.  Also, I got up super early in the morning and got things done before the I got the kids up.  And  the kids had their designated chores too.  But I won't lie. The downstairs was generally  company ready but the upstairs....not so much.  That was for the weekends.   Go easy on yourself.  Your home doesn't have to look like it belongs in one of those home decor magazines to be ready for company.  A real home is always going to have a lived in look.  Which is a good thing.  

Honored Contributor

I agree with the many, many responses "there's a place for everything and everything should be in its place."  Believe me, I live with someone who saves EVERYTHING -- mail does not get addressed each day and is stacked in piles until it becomes so overwhelming it takes and entire day to go through it. 

When a tool -- everything from a tapemeasure to a flashlight -- is used, it gets dropped wherever he's done using it.  Mind you we have a dozen or more of these two items and when needed he can't find a one of them.  Sets of screwdrivers (with zippered cases) all of which are strewn about and the case is empty.

Receipts, lottery tickets, holiday cards, newspapers -- I could go on and on. 

Also key is if you have more stuff than you need.  I live with a pack rat.

It's tiring to me and stresses me out.  I've tried everything and nothing works.  You can lead a horse to water but .....

Can't even hang up a shirt at the end of the day.

I realize my situation is extreme, but I think you get the point.