Valued Contributor

Natural Light in the Bedroom...

[ Edited ]

Please forgive me, if this has been discussed before (I'm still new around here - LOL), but...

Am I the only one who doesn't get the desire for lots of "Natural Light" in the Main Bedroom?

I can't sleep, unless it's pitch black in my bedroom, and once I get up in the morning, the only time I go in there is to go thru to the bathroom, or to get something out of the closet.

I've never understood why the "House Hunters" insist on all of that light in bedrooms (?)

Honored Contributor

Re: Natural Light in the Bedroom...

@LavernLuvsShoes First, you don't need to apologize for asking something that may have been discussed in the past!

I cannot sleep in a pitch black room. During the night I HAVE to have the blinds that face west cracked enough to let in a little light.

When I travel (not in the last couple of years tho) and I have to have a little light in my hotel room. I can usually open the drapes a couple of inches, just enough to get a bit of light.

I do like lots of natural light during the day! 

Honored Contributor

My bedroom faces North and there are trees and shrubbery shading the window.  I find this very irritating.  It's so dark in the room, I can't do or find anything without turning on a light.  If I drop something small on the carpet, I have to use a flashlight. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I love a bedroom that gets really dark at night-easier for me to sleep well, and then in the daytime, I love lots of natural light, I don't take naps so for me I like a nice, open airy room in the daytime.....I do hear them on House Hunters use that term all the time-wonder if they are told to say that? 

Valued Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

...I do hear them on House Hunters use that term all the time-wonder if they are told to say that? 

I'm sure that term is "scripted" - I've heard quite a few of the "husbands" say they like the "natural light" - How many men actually use that terminology in real life?  (LOL) Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

i could live in a cave.......

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer a lot of natural light.  I don’t like the dark and always sleep with a light on.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like lots of natural light either. I prefer darker. Like someone else said. I could live in a cave. I just don't get all the light, airy rooms. 

Respected Contributor

I like my bedroom to be dark at night when I’m sleeping (I close the blinds) but during the day I like lots of natural light in the bedroom and throughout my house. 

Esteemed Contributor

Count me in to sleep in pitch dark!

I'm writing this looking at my black faux silk blackout drapes in my bedroom.