Trusted Contributor

Name of company or place to purchase good quality furniture.

Looking to purchase furniture for our family room (sofa or sofas), oversized chair, etc. not end tables, coffee tables, etc. Back in the day, I would head to Ethan Allen; no more. Not looking for leather and would prefer the ability to have slipcovers so I can remove them for washing (color would be off white or cream). Sturdy fabric, of course. Not looking for something to last a few years but for MANY years and yes, I know it will cost more for that kind of quality... so I'm looking for where "that place" or "that brand" would be. TIA!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

Re: Name of company or place to purchase good quality furniture.

[ Edited ]

Wayfair dot com.  Has all price ranges.

Check it out.

Honored Contributor

Probably a smaller local company (if there are any keft) where you could establish a relationship with a salesperson who would cater to your desires.  You might consider an interior decorator as they have connections and know upholsters.  What you want is custom, not assembly line.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Macy's Furniture Store

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee   Pottery Barn has some beautiful sofas and chairs, either slip covered or upholstered. 

I could decorate a whole house from their catalogs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee  I too think you would do well to at least check out Pottery Barn. Given it sounds like you're mostly looking for seating, possibly with slip covers, and not tables or case goods, they might well meet your needs.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Your smaller local furniture stores are the best.  Look for name brands.

A "throw away" trend has become prevalent.   These people go to lower stores thave have excellent hype, one has the first name of a girl, the other sells rooms down to the prints on the wall.

Good furniture isn't in a national chain store, except Ethan Allen.

Look for dove tailing on drawers, nice hardware, the wood should feel smooth, not rough when you run your hand over it.  You want kiln dried wood.

You might want to Google how to buy quality  furniture. 

Esteemed Contributor

How about checking out Restoration Hardware?

Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone!

Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel were on my list especially as they offer slip clovers but.....recently I've had friends and family order love seats, oversized chairs, etc (fabric furniture) and the quality has been terrible. What made it worse was the time it took to get the items (months due to Covid). That's the look I want but I don't want junk. 

Restoration Hardware is NOT cheap. The make fantastic products, however. They are my last resort simply due to the cost. I'm not sure they offer slipcovers either. That said, every item we've purchased has been well made and gorgeous...worth ever penny.

If I can find a local furniture store, I'll definitely check it out. I'd rather do that than go through a big chain. 

I'm not above finding something that simply needs new stuffing/fabric. I found someone here to redo my parents furniture and WOW....gorgeous. Again, not cheap, but they did outstanding work. 

I don't remember it being this hard to purchase quality furniture. Then again, it's been awhile. Shame that so many things have changed and not for the better.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Thanks everyone!

Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel were on my list especially as they offer slip clovers but.....recently I've had friends and family order love seats, oversized chairs, etc (fabric furniture) and the quality has been terrible. What made it worse was the time it took to get the items (months due to Covid). That's the look I want but I don't want junk. 

Restoration Hardware is NOT cheap. The make fantastic products, however. They are my last resort simply due to the cost. I'm not sure they offer slipcovers either. That said, every item we've purchased has been well made and gorgeous...worth ever penny.

If I can find a local furniture store, I'll definitely check it out. I'd rather do that than go through a big chain. 

I'm not above finding something that simply needs new stuffing/fabric. I found someone here to redo my parents furniture and WOW....gorgeous. Again, not cheap, but they did outstanding work. 

I don't remember it being this hard to purchase quality furniture. Then again, it's been awhile. Shame that so many things have changed and not for the better.

Oh boy can I understand that... If you have good quality pieces worthy of reupholstering, that's always a solid option. I'm not a fan of Crate and Barrel furniture but I'm sorry to hear items from PB weren't up to snuff... I've never been a huge fan but always thought their quality was better than average. If you have access to a design center you'll find some excellent pieces but you'll probably pay dearly for them...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...