Occasional Contributor

Re: Name of company or place to purchase good quality furniture.

I agree with several other comments to find a local, family-type store. Tell them you're wishes and expectations. A brand I didn't see mentioned that is good quality without the Ethan Allen price tag is Flexsteel. What I don't know is if slip covers are available with this brand. As another posted mentioned, if you have quality constructed furniture now, you should probably consider recovering that furniture. There's a lot of junk being manufactured today even in lines that used to have decent quality.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Consignment stores, estate sales.....and there are some "higher end" thrift stores, that are more like "boutiques" (some run by charities, no sales tax).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I would NEVER buy furniture online! Never. I have several, locally owned, fabulous furniture stores in the towns nearby. I'd much rather give them my money/business than the big box stores!!! Small businesses are a dying breed right now, please help support them!!

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

Check out Horchow and William Sonoma Home.  Luxe Decor.  

Respected Contributor

If you are in FL, try Haverty's.  We have them in VA and we have had excellent service, good products and decent prices.  

Contributor

Very good question, and the pandemic has changed this, in my observations. First off, beware of any chain furniture stores. Pottery Barn was just in the news in central Pa. for taking months to deliver a mini sofa that a woman had custom ordered. They kept moving up her delivery date and wouldn't respond to her inquiries on when she would get the item. The network called PB and voila! Her sofa was delivered. In September, I went to a regional PA chain and bought a leather recliner, no special order. Told it would take 12 weeks. It's now been more than 21 weeks and the store won't give me a date, just says "everything is delayed; we'll call you when it arrives." And they lied, telling me on the last call that Jan. 29 was the shipping date, when they had assured me that was the arrival date. Anyway, be very careful with furniture buying these days. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I will be looking to buy a few good quality furniture but will not buy it online--I want to sit on it, feel the fabric, measure it and know it will last. Need a sofa and maybe a chair--- so will go to a store when I can an do that----

Honored Contributor

I don't think I've ever seen a (national) furniture store offer slipcovered furniture, I could be wrong.

I went thru a local home boutique that had just a few pieces in her store (not a warehouse with hundreds) and that was enough for me to see the quality.

The couch was a Ryane and I was able to pick out from a huge selection of fabrics for the slipcovers.  They are easily removeable as I was shown in the boutique.  They don't need to be dry cleaned-- which was huge with me.  I can do them myself in one of those large front loading machines at the dry cleaners.  I could probably do the cushion covers myself in my home washer.

You'll want to get a performance fabric.  That is key.

My couch is covered in a natural (off white) performance fabric, but I also chose a second in a pretty linen print (Vinaya Festival) that I've yet to use.

My armchairs are made by Bramble Co., they are (painted) mahogany and have performance fabric slipcovered cushions, also.  

I have mostly Bramble Co. furniture in both of my homes.  They are hand crafted, well made, they replenish the forests by planting a tree for every piece of furniture made.  They don't use toxic paints or finishes either.  And you have dozens of colors and finishes to choose from.  Highly recommend.

Esteemed Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Looking to purchase furniture for our family room (sofa or sofas), oversized chair, etc. not end tables, coffee tables, etc. Back in the day, I would head to Ethan Allen; no more. Not looking for leather and would prefer the ability to have slipcovers so I can remove them for washing (color would be off white or cream). Sturdy fabric, of course. Not looking for something to last a few years but for MANY years and yes, I know it will cost more for that kind of quality... so I'm looking for where "that place" or "that brand" would be. TIA!

@FiddleDeeDee 

Bernhardt makes great furniture, quality and long lasting. I have several pieces, purchased a sofa in the last two years and very pleased.

Yes, I can attest to Bernhardt . I purchased  their furniture 28 yrs ago and it is  still like new.

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee  Of course there are better brands, but they tend to be pricey. I've always liked Highland House for upholstered pieces, if you opt to go in that direction. I'm truly surprised so many folks have had bad experiences with Pottery Barn, but I guess I shouldn't be. Chain stores selling just about anything almost always seem to find a way of being uneven. It may sound off the wall but I also know Ikea offers seating pieces with slipcovers, though I have no idea of their quality and know that many consider them 'starter' furniture. If you have local independent furniture stores to check out, you're lucky. Most all of the ones in my area are gone, along with the nicer 'chain' stores like Mastercraft, all supplanted by junk furniture and middle of the road brands like Lazy Boy, Haverty's, Pottery Barn, West Elm, Crate and Barrel and so on...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...