Super Contributor

Re: Name of company or place to purchase good quality furniture.

@FiddleDeeDee  I love everything I have bought from room & board, crate and barrel and west elm.  Room and board items will last forever!

Esteemed Contributor

Not sure where you're at but Smith Brothers in Berne, IN makes sofas and chairs that are built like iron. DS bought a casual chair in leather. Pricey but still going strong and beautiful. They have a list of retailers on their website.

Reviews for PB furniture are bad. Really bad. I've seen their slipcovered sofas and I don't think the slipcovers were made well.

RH isn't cheap and the sofa I had my eye on is MIC with a pricetag of $5k.

Honored Contributor

If you are looking for something custom made you can try Ballard Designs.  I have purchased a few items over the years there and been happy with everything.  

Valued Contributor

La-Z-Boy.  They have sofas, couches, recliners, chairs, tables, and more.  Even big sectionals with recliners at each end.  High quality furniture that lasts for years.

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee 

Good luck

My niece bought a sectional with the slipcover from PB.  After 1 washing the material is "pilled" and out of "shape"☹️

worse, it's sagging in seating area.  PB is expensive but not lasting quality.  She is in the process of replacing -- 

I truly wonder if there is "quality well made to last" furniture anymore🤷‍♀️.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try if there is any local Amish or menonite  furniture

Try brands from North Carolina. Lexington furniture used to be okay line  from NC. I went to their showroom 25 yrs ago and bought some nicce living room furniture, bedroom sets, and dining room that I still have .

There are  also  overstock  oulet factories

I would not buy any Pottery Barn or Restoration hardware or Wayfair.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Looking to purchase furniture for our family room (sofa or sofas), oversized chair, etc. not end tables, coffee tables, etc. Back in the day, I would head to Ethan Allen; no more. Not looking for leather and would prefer the ability to have slipcovers so I can remove them for washing (color would be off white or cream). Sturdy fabric, of course. Not looking for something to last a few years but for MANY years and yes, I know it will cost more for that kind of quality... so I'm looking for where "that place" or "that brand" would be. TIA!

@FiddleDeeDee 

Bernhardt makes great furniture, quality and long lasting. I have several pieces, purchased a sofa in the last two years and very pleased.

Respected Contributor

Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams. They have stores and sell some pieces through Bloomingdale's. Very well made pieces.

Respected Contributor

When I first got married, there was a furniture store in my area that sold high quality furniture brands....Pennsylvania House, Lexiington, Thomasville, etc.  Those furniture stores seem to be few and far between these days.  I know the one we had closed.  I have Thomasville bedroom set, dining room and living room set all the same for nearly 25 years that I enjoy to this day and it cost a pretty penny.  I think you need to perhaps research a brand that have styles you like and then google search them for your area.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee 

Of course, it depends on how much you want to spend and the style you prefer.

I'd go with excellent furniture manufacturers.  Look at their websites to find what you like, then locate stores that sell them. 

You said you wanted well made furniture that would last through the years.  Below are those I know make excellent furniture.  

I placed a $ for those very expensive, but worth the price.

Stickley

Century

Hooker

Kincaid

Kindel - $

Kittinger - $

Henkel Harris - $

Councill

Southwood

Baker

Eldred Wheeler

Maitland Smith

Hickory

Henredon - $ - This company recently had some financial setbacks.  It's website said it's coming back, but I have no idea when.  Made excellent quality furniture.  I'm afraid we might see more in the near future.  

E.J. Victor