Honored Contributor

NORTH CAROLINA HOUSE MAKEOVER

Do you like it when magazines follow "real life" people as they slowly renovate their house?  Country Living did this starting in 2021 with Victoria and Marcus Ford, partial do-it-yourselfers who had already transformed their first house.

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 7.37.35 AM.png

Victoria describes their style as "classic, with a wink".   And hubby dubbed her online site as "The Prepster Wife".  I'd add: definitely preppy, cottage, with a nice dash of breezy, coastal-inflected Americana.  They clearly like American flags, blue-and-white, libraries, and vintage.

"BEFORE"   living room.   The couple does like blue (as you'll see throughout the house),  but this previous owner's blue to me is blah, and a bit harsh.   Fireplace wall needs HELP!

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 11.40.18 AM.png

"AFTER" living room:

Chunky built in shelves, oil painting,  fireplace surround (they left a nice bit of the brick still peeking out), cozy rug and pillows, yes!  

But a big, yet subtle change is their choice of a "warmer", moodier blue, I think.  It's a wee bit dark for me, but it's so effective here.  It's "Endless Sea" by Sherwin-Williams.  

makeover-takeover-living-room-jpg-1627668875.jpg

She scored this fab distressed leather sofa, only to have it adorned by their sweet doggie:

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 11.42.10 AM.png

BEFORE dining room:

dining-room-before-jpg-1611783618.jpg

AFTER  dining room.  Love the green:

dining-room-after-2-jpg-1611783829.jpg

AFTER  kitchen.  Adore the blue ceiling, beadboard backsplash, and nautical lights:

makeover-takeover-kitchen-1635986262.jpg

Cheerful breakfast nook, enlivened by very personal art and photographs:

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.16.20 AM.png

See what I mean about preppy?  Love the trunk, and wall-mounted vintage racquets!   Tennis (or badminton), anyone? 

makeover-takeover-after-bedroom-jpg-1617379427.jpg

It sounds funny, but I might be most nuts about their laundry room and bathrooms.  I have a nightmare laundry room, so I'm deeply envious of theirs:

0b639_3e4b7.JPG

Here's a charming vignette of the use of beadboard in one of their baths:

makeover-takeover-wainscotting-jpg-1617380673.jpg

BEFORE.  Another  bathroom.  Check out the over-the-top coastal themed room they found when they moved in:

img-3255-copy-1629919140.jpg

AFTER.  Ahhhhh!   Here's the still-coastal, but elegant, nostalgic bath they turned it into:

35b88804-8e52-4667-aebd-651f6b0340c3-1629918137.jpg

LOVE!   If you want to see more of their process and pictures, just search Makeover Takeover 2021 Country Living Colonial Comeback.

Honored Contributor

Re: NORTH CAROLINA HOUSE MAKEOVER

I like the Kitchen, Breakfast Nook, and Laundry Room. The other rooms are overly decorated for me and I would have to remove most of the art and STUFF.

I prefer the brick fireplace over the wood surround. I don't care for all that wood being stored inside the house. A small amount of wood stacked next to the fireplace is good but more than that is messy and not for me.

Honored Contributor

I do love seeing the transformation of "normal" homes....able to relate and often tips that can be helpful.  I like most of the design choices in this house (not too fond of the firewood stash surrounding the fireplace).  Always great to see new ideas, thanks @Oznell!. Love the addition of doggie😉

Respected Contributor

My favorite decoration was the doggie!

I loved the paint colors and the couples's beautiful sense of style. The bathroom wall and ceiling tiles were beyond. "Endless Sea" color was perfect. Loved the laundry room flooring.

If I would change one thing, it would be to cut down on the artwork/pictures. Six in that small bathroom space was simply too much. I am sure the tennis rackets in the bedroom have some significance but the wall art distracted from the loveliness of the room.

Oznell thank you for posting this!

Honored Contributor

Way too much blue for me.

Honored Contributor

I like everything they did.  Very rich and warm.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I take Country Living mag and I did follow the Fords.  Very ambitious people and I like all that they did.

Honored Contributor

Maybe I should look into getting "Country Living" again too, @Patriot3 .   I had dropped them, when I thought they were getting away from showing houses, and more into other things, food, "lifestyle" stuff, etc.  But I would have loved the series with the Fords.  I think it was Country Living that did the long series on the remodel of "Bee Cottage",  or am I thinking of a different mag...

On a completely different note, I sometimes think I do a disservice to the rooms by posting these pictures.  The living room of the Fords, for example.  Online (and probably in the mazazine too),  you got a real feeling of how spacious it was--  but here in the thread, it looked more "squinched" together, giving a more clutter-y feeling. You really couldn't tell how beautiful it was.  Sigh.

Esteemed Contributor

The couple did a beautiful job updating this home. I have said it before, I love modern clean lines, so this would not be for me. However, my love of modern does not discourage my admiration for other aesthetics. 

I want that trunk at the foot of the bed. I love pieces like that around the house. I have a similar trunk. It adds a little twist to my otherwise modern decor. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe I saw a layout in the magazine of either this or a prior home reimagined by this couple as something here seems very familiar, though I can't specify what. Warm and inviting, they've done some very nice work on their home.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...