Honored Contributor

NINA GRISCOM'S ELEGANT NEW YORK APARTMENT

[ Edited ]

Note:  I just learned through another poster that Nina Griscom died recently.  So sad.  But here was where she lived in beauty.  In my comments I'm referring to her in the present tense-- I didn't know she is no longer living. The light tone sounds a bit flip under the circumstances.  No disrespect intended, and I'm glad to be able to share her refined style.

I've admired 'social butterfly' Nina Griscom's taste (here she is with hubby Leonel Piraino) in the past, and this apartment of hers that has been widely featured, has so much going for it.  For her, it's a major downsizing, even though it's a spacious duplex apartment.  Here, they had to ditch the breakfast nook, in order to get adequate closet space, for example.  You'd have to be comfortable with the "collected look" in these digs, since she has rarefied collections of objects scattered around.

Let's analyze. Her antiques are just beautiful, but she salts them in with other obsessions: tribal art, classical sculpture, and Forties' furniture.  I'm just mad for those stunning black and white architectural-type ship drawings, too.  She acquired those from her pal Bill Blass.  Look at those dark, lustrous floors:

0212-AD-GRIS-09.jpg

0212-AD-GRIS-08.jpg

Oh, let me backtrack and say that in the article she said that she has two paint colors that she has used for years wherever she lives, that she finds a perfect backdrop for her art and objects.  (Don't you love when people give their specific paint colors-- I do!).  They are Benjamin Moore's "Silver Fox" for all walls, and creamy "Linen White" for  trim.

I tend to be more of a 'color' person for walls, than I am for neutrals, but I think this unifying scheme is great in her specific apartment.  She does have color in flowers, plants and art, and all the glinting gilt frames and objects.

I love this dining area. 

0212-AD-GRIS-07.jpg

Geometric print pillows, and animal print here and there, give a touch of modernity, and keep the traditional rooms from looking "fussy".  Ditto the tribal art and global touches.  This parlor looks comfortable to me, and breathes history.

0212-AD-GRIS-10.jpg

I'm thinking this is the den:

0212-AD-GRIS-06.jpg

This hall table has the vintage look of the Forties' furniture she favors.  Love the double doors in the distance.

0212-AD-GRIS-02.jpg

Bedroom:

0212-AD-GRIS-03.jpg

This bedroom has a simple, 'luxe' sort of feeling to me.  See secretary at side.  I love bookcases in bedrooms!

0212-AD-GRIS-04.jpg 

Classic, New York terrace!  I'll have some fresh-squeezed orange juice with my Cheerios and morning traffic sounds... 

0212-AD-GRIS-05.jpg

I'm going to call her style, "Old World Eclectic Villa",  or "Sophisticated Library Reading Room".

Super Contributor

Re: NINA GRISCOM'S ELEGANT NEW YORK APARTMENT

Didn't she pass away in January 2020?

Esteemed Contributor

Whole lotta dusting going on in there I bet.

Honored Contributor

Oh, my goodness, @roster ,  I hadn't heard that.  How sad, and what a grim illness.  What beauty she created in her apartment-- I so hope she was able to enjoy it as long as possible.

I almost can't bring myself to go back and read the details.  It's funny how you connect to people, even those you don't know, over their sense of beauty.

RIP, Nina Griscom.

Super Contributor

Yes, ALS is a sad disease. She was a beauty in her youth. 

Honored Contributor

No idea who this lady was. There's nothing I like about the decor.

Honored Contributor

There isn't a room, furnishings, decor, art on the walls that I do not love!  This is an apartment i could easily live at and be content.  The parlor is warm, cozy and so inviting, my favorite!

Respected Contributor

What a beautiful apartment.   I'm not familiar with who Nina Griscom was but I have to say she had exquisite taste.    That terrace would be just the perfect spot to begin the day and to end the day.  I could see sitting out there on a warm summer night.

She was blessed to have such a lovely home in which to spend her days.  I'm certain her home gave her great joy.

Honored Contributor

@spiderwand @J Town Girl ,  I appreciate and so agree with your discerning comments about this lovely apartment!

Respected Contributor

here is a later article:

https://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/nina-griscom/