Honored Contributor

Family/sitting room by Becky Cooper Interiors.  High ceilings, textures, light, comfort.  Maybe vaguely 'Ralph Lauren/preppy'.  A pretty good room of its kind I think-- but my critique is, subtract about a quarter to a third of the accessories, pillows etc. Don't think this room needs that much.    

Pam-Cooper-Sparta7970-1.jpg

This image makes my point, I think.  If the rest of the room showed this kind of restraint, with a few bold, impactful accessories, it would be better.  Love the brick texture and heavy, distressed mantle.  And the soulful basket.

Pam-Cooper-Sparta7993.jpg

I do like the horse imagery, hammered vase, barley twist table, airy lamps.  The print on the easy chair seems 'off', somehow.  Nix to the cliche antler pillow!

Pam-Cooper-Sparta7969-1.jpg

Clever curtains with banding and deeper color at bottom.  Practical, and also helps to cut the sweeping height of room and make sitting area more intimate...

Pam-Cooper-Sparta8013-3.jpg

Rooms with so much volume can be problematic--  they run the risk of being cold and cavernous.  This one looks to be partially a double cube, which to me is usually too much.  But they seemed to tame it as much as they could...

Pam-Cooper-Sparta7952-1.jpg

Honored Contributor

Too much going on here for me, too many 'dust collectors', not much color and pizazz for me. I do like the fireplace though.

Esteemed Contributor

Can't say I like the whole room....I just like the fireplace wall.  Very nice.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   NOT NOT NOT my taste at all.... however,  it looks like a nice main room of a hotel somewhere in the mountains, maybe, that I could enjoy for the week.  That's it!

Respected Contributor

This room looks very rustic to me, so I don't get the New Jersey descriptor (okay, there are some rustic areas in NJ). I don't care for the pattern of the chairs, so, if you remove all the pillows, you're left with a pretty bland color palette. Or, from the glass half full perspective, you can "dress"  this room however you want. I don't think the designer did justice to this space. I wouldn't have been happy if I'd paid big bucks to a designer and this was the result. 

Honored Contributor

Hi @Eileen in Virginia --   When the source gives the location of the interior, I always try to give it.  Some people love to know where something is located-- it fixes it in the universe in their minds!  I'm one of those! 

New Jersey has some very nice "horse country" and indeed lots of rustic residences.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow....I love the fireplace but I don't care for most of the furnishings so I'd have to almost completely gut this living room and start over.  Besides, as has already been mentioned, there is far too much in the room that changes it from decor to clutter.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Too much "stuff" for me...why is the TV stuck in the corner, facing no seating area.

Don't care for any of it...thanks for the post.

Esteemed Contributor

i agree that the fireplace is very nice but the rest of the room is too busy, too cluttered. I remember the advice Joan Rivers used to give regarding clothes and accessories. Take off just one extra thing. I think the decorator of this room could have benefitted from this advice.

Super Contributor

I agree with you.  This room has great bones, and I might forgive so much “stuff”, if the stuff was obviously an owner’s collectibles or precious objects.  However, all this stuff just looks like a decorator’s overdone accessories just bought for the job.  Again, though, I like the room, and I would like much of the furnishing if it was highly edited.