Honored Contributor

Re: NEW JERSEY COUNTRY HOUSE

Exactly, @catter70.

Honored Contributor

I'm not big on blue, though I do love it in accessories. That said, I could live with it in most incarnations here. A lovely home, nicely done and nicely appointed. I'd probably opt for a different sofa and rug in the living room but taken all together, very nice traditional decor. I don't mind gallery walls and this one appears to be well executed, though I might have opted for fewer but larger pieces. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

I love the brown and blue living room and the master bedroom.

Trusted Contributor

Let me say I love many of the design details of this home.  Mostly, I'm a fan of blues & blending with other colors.  Some of the furnishings & accessories I like - others not.  I'm never a fan of heavy drapes.

My favorite room in this home is the master bedroom - the colors & most of the design.  Love!

But, all rooms are welcoming, esp. for those who like traditional style.

Thank you @Oznell for some good ones tonight.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I wondered that too, @jellyBEAN.  To me, looking at a house is even more enjoyable if you have a geographic "context" to put it in.

I think when Jackie Onassis had a house in New Jersey specifically for riding, it might well have been in that general area.  Don't know if she kept horses herself, but she definitely rode there.  They described her house, I think, as being in Peapack, (sp?) New Jersey.   That unusual name stuck in my head!

Is Peapack in either of those counties?

Edited to add:  Oh, forgot-- one clue Scott Sanders gave was that there were riding trails visible from the house.  But of course that could be any number of places....

Jackie O had a place in Far Hills, NJ.  Somerset County.  Surrounding the property was a very tall stone wall, you couldn't see much of the actual home, but in one of the stones in the wall was the carving of a Native American face.  That stone disappeared over the years, but the wall remained.  The Peapack/Gladstone area is a little further North, but same vacinity.  Richard Branson who owns Virgin Airlines, etc. bought a huge estate in Peapack some years back and was going to turn it into a huge spa, luxury wellness retreat/hotel - not sure that it ever came to be, but the place was a massive stone fortress on acres and acres of rolling hillsides.  Worth a fortune.  You also have towns such as Bernardsville, Bedminster, Mendham, and Tewksbury - all very wealthy areas in that neck of the woods.  Trump's golf club is in Bedminster, I believe at John DeLorean's old estate.  $$$$$$

Another area where there are a lot of horse farms is Pittstown which is a little further West in NJ, I believe in Hunterdon County.  Colts Neck, Red Bank and Rumson down toward the shore area also has a reputation for horse properties.  Bruce Springsteen has a home in Rumson.  Jon Bon Jovi too I believe.  NJ gets a bad rap, but there really are some beautiful places, very scenic, and the beaches are great although the water is a little chilly.  I moved bcause of the taxes, but I'm finding prices going up everywhere.

But back to this thread, I picture this as an older stone colonial type home on a nice chunk of property with a lush green lawn and scenic views of the trails winding thru the surrounding woods and perhaps a pond or creek nearby.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Taking another look, the master is lovely... Just lovely... Not sure I like the dark blue drapes in the dining room but then again, not sure I don't...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

What a great, informative back story on the area, @jellyBEAN!   Really fleshes it out for those of us not in the region.  I had always heard that New Jersey had some lovely, secluded areas, far from the strictly urban stereotype that many have of the state.

Thanks for filling us in so comprehensively!