Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEED HONEST OPINIONS OF HE AGITATOR WASHERS

@Ifeelwicked

That’s really good to hear! 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I had a Maytag for 35 years. It worked great. Always did a load of washer before I went to work in the morning. When the Maytag died I bought a Whirlpool HE agitator washer.

Big Mistake. The Whirlpool is loud; takes forever to go through the cycles; twists the clothes around each other; even going through 2 rinses leaves soap residue on the clothing; once I had a pair of canvas pants come out of the washer with one leg completely dry; and forget about washing large items, it throws the washer out of balance. Any item larger than sheets, I have to take to the laundromat. In fact I go to the laundromat more often just to get certain items clean. I debate where it is worth using my Whirlpool.

I can't believe Whirlpool put out such a poor product. And I can only run it certain times. The laundry room is right off the family room. And the washer is so loud that if someone is watching TV they have a hard time hearing the TV. I have to quick close the door.

I have no idea how the new Maytags are. Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

Four years ago we bought the “latest and greatest!” Top of the line Kenmore see-thru top loader. Low water, no agitator. $1,400. It died a month ago! WE DID OUR HOMEWORK THIS TIME! GE listened when people said they missed the agitator and 2 inches of water does not get clothes clean. And our repairman warned us the first time not to get one with the sensor board. We didn’t listen. This Tim around we got the new GE top loading, agitator, choice of full water levels, and DIALS! Nothing tangles, the machine never gets out of balance, it takes half the time to finish, and our clothes have never been cleaner!! It’s called  GE he Deepfill. If I knew how to post pics I would. I love that they went “old school” on a new model with exactly the bells and whistles I needed. Not 100 that I don’t. I seriously love it. 

My new washer is the same model.  I like it so far.  I've only used it for a few weeks, but it works fine.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags, my Kenmore Elite is 13 years old now.  I like it. I bought a new fridge before it died because of the wait time for delivery.  With the washer, I am hoping it keeps on going!  LM

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I use my $299 Hotpoint top load HE agitator every day.  We get plenty stinky and dirty here, and I have delicates.  Works great.  

The controls are manual - I use care not to jerk them through their cycles but I can change things in mid-wash, like water level, advancing a cycle, adding stray clothes, temp, etc.

I use even less HE detergent than called for.  At the very least, I use not a drop more.  It's not needed. 

I got rid of my old washer on a whim as wanted something HE so bought the Maytag Bravos. OMG so aggravating with what everyone has posted, not getting clothes clean, even gentle setting stretching out the necklines of all of my tops, small holes in cotton tops and wrinkles galore. THEN I sell this on Craigslist and now have a GE top loader with agitator thinking it would be the same as my original washer and this is almost as bad but not as much stretching out of my clothes. Takes forever, lid locks and can't add a dropped sock and I do everything on Gentle which is not gentle at all.

My daughter has the $299 Hotpoint and loves it. When this whiling noisy things goes I will get one of those. 

Also read that the Speed Queen commercial washers are the best to get.. Such a shame our appliances have become so annoying and useless.

Honored Contributor

I've had the other kind of HE washer for 12 years now  I'll never go back to an agitator.  Clothes are so much cleaner.  

Contributor

I have enjoyed reading the many posts to the washer subject.  My 25 year old  Maytag  regular top load washer probably won't last much longer.  I was in the kitchen one day recently and it was over filling onto the laundry room floor,  luckily for me there is a drain under the washer for overflows in m y house.  Now I have to set it on Mini fill to get it to work at all, and it fills on what ever it wants to , but washes.  Needless to say I watch it like a hawk.  I hate to be in the market for a new washer at all.  A Whirlpool service tech told me that it is lucky if you get over 5 years on any appliance.  Of course not the good ole 25 years.  The Speed Queen reviews caught my eye and I may look at this brand.  

Regular Contributor

My cheapo old fashioned HOTPOINT came with a 5 year warranty. We hope it breaks down right before the warranty expires.  I've not been at all happy since I got rid of my GE and my next machine will probably be a new GE.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

I've had the other kind of HE washer for 12 years now  I'll never go back to an agitator.  Clothes are so much cleaner.  

I'm still kind of new to the washer without the agitator thing (been a few months since we got our GE washer & dryer), but I think I really like not having that agitator thing in the middle.

It also is super great for leveling things.  You don't have to try to work everything evenly around the center piece.  It actually levels the stuff on its own, although I do make the effort to put stuff in there evenly.

My only (mostly minor) complaint is that they are so deep that I actually hurt my ribs last week trying to get to some dog hair and a piece of tape from after pulling out my husband's laundry.  Still hurts.   Lesson learned - just don't be lazy and get the step stool that's right by the dryer when I need to clean the drum or get something small out of the bottom.  Smiley Sad

Meanwhile, I don't know what kind of injury I ended up with but I am pretty tired of it already (been 9 days).

Contributor

To those of you who own speed queens, could you tell me which model you have?