Honored Contributor

I need suggestions ..........

My former neighbor used to buy nuts at the dollar store and thought it was cute to feed them to the squirrels.   She liked them.  Well, the dear lady passed away last year.   The squirrels didn't get the memo.

I like to feed the birds that land on my terrace.  I want to attract BIRDS, only BIRDS.   You already know what's happening .... the squirrels now think the seeds are for them.

Obviously, It would make no sense to put up a sign that says "Birds Welcome, Squirrels Keep Out" ..... LOL

Short of not feeding the birds and hoping the squiirels go elsewhere .... anyone have any ideas?  I don't want to put something out that would repel squirrels .... and hurt the birds.     My sister half-jokingly asked if getting a couple high powered squirt guns might do the trick .... but I'm not really looking to become a sniper.

Asking for feedback, suggestions .... and what did or didn't work for you.  TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH SQUIRRELS

I don't have squirrels but I hear everyone who does and feeds birds has this problem.  Don't people usually buy squirrel-proof bird feeders? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I had a bird feeder on a pole with one of those metal can kind of things that makes it hard for squirrels to climb it. They still tried but after one took a rough fall, didn't see any for quite some time. It wasn't the ideal look but it worked. 

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

I had a bird feeder on a pole with one of those metal can kind of things that makes it hard for squirrels to climb it. They still tried but after one took a rough fall, didn't see any for quite some time. It wasn't the ideal look but it worked. 

@ThinkingOutLoud  That's what I have and have had it for years. Have never had a squirrel get in the feeder. They hang around the bottom for cast offs as do the deer.

Trusted Contributor

good luck with that..

Respected Contributor

Maybe put a bird bath out instead??

Honored Contributor

Whoops!   I forgot to mention .....  

I buy bird seed at Anawalts and place it on a tray and it sits on the cement on my terrace.  There's a water dish nearby for those who are thirsty.    All sizes of birds have access .... but so do those little monsters.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44,  add cayanne pepper to the bird seeds.  The capsicum does not affect the birds but squirrels will quickly learn to seek food elsewhere.

Rain will wash away the pepper so you will have to watch for when to add more.  A very light spray with a neutral oil will help the pepper stick.

You could also change the seed you are feeding.  Squirrels don't like millet, nyjer, safflower or other "bitter" seeds.  However, different birds are attracted to different seeds so you might lose some current birds but attract others.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud  That's what I have and have had it for years. Have never had a squirrel get in the feeder. They hang around the bottom for cast offs as do the deer.

And up here the spilled bird seed is a mighty nice treat for the black bear that come around.

Bears have quite the nose. A local man found that out when he brought the feeder inside his home only to find the black bear on his deck, pushing his nose against the slider.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Whoops!   I forgot to mention .....  

I buy bird seed at Anawalts and place it on a tray and it sits on the cement on my terrace.  There's a water dish nearby for those who are thirsty.    All sizes of birds have access .... but so do those little monsters.

Since you place the feed out on a tray you can try only feeding with Safflower seeds. I hear squirrels do not like them you can get them where most bird seeds are sold.