Trusted Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH SQUIRRELS

We have had the same problem.  We have feeders suspended from the deck which squirrels can't climb, but there are seeds that drop to the ground when the birds eat.  Squirrels come for those.

My husband loves to feed the quail and doves, but for the first time about a year ago, coyotes are coming to the other side of our fence. 

On that topic:

Our son was driving to work, just south of San Francisco.  While at a stoplight, a coyote crossed

(in the crosswalk!!!) right in front of his car.  He took a

photo of it, and it was quite a sight.  With the pandemic, coyotes are moving in.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

Use safflower only! Your cards & others will love it! Your downys, not so much. But it's the only thing the squirrels turn their noses at. Try it for a few weeks.

My one squirrel, Mustache, was as incorrigible as one could get, even scamming the "squirrel-proof" feeder. She also taught her little brats how, too.

Once the safflower was in, all the squirrels took a hike. It was the only way.

p.s. I did the squirt gun, also used a sling shot w/ peanuts!

@Harpa 

Safflower seeds ... or oil?   I think I missed something ....  maybe just daydreaming about getting a high power squirt gun.  heh heh heh   Woman LOL

@Tinkrbl44  I believe you are thinking of black oil sunflower seeds.  There are those and also safflower seeds.  I just bought safflower seeds yesterday and emptied my bird feeder and put them in.  I read that the safflower might keep blackbirds away.  I'm hoping.

@Patriot3 

Where did you buy safflower seeds?   Every place I've seen bird seed for sale, they only have mixtures of various seeds.

@Tinkrbl44  I got them at Menards.  I know, they have so many mixtures.  I would think that maybe Home Depot or Lowes would have them, too.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I just feed them all. They're all just trying to survive, just like us.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - You can purchase a squirrel proof feeder (yes, they are squirrel proof) from either Yankee Droll or a quality outdoor bird store (Wild Birds unlimited). They are pricey, but once the squirrels get the message they won't try and hang on the feeder.

Or, don't know what kind of feeder you have, but you can put a squirrel "baffle" under and over the feeder. 

Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

We have our feeders hanging from the edge of a roof over the deck.  And its over a walk out to boot.  No squirrels, no bears.  

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:

@Snicks1 

Such emotional generosity ...   but the squirrels have now invited several friends, and there's suddenly waaaay too many visiting. 

Well, at least it's squirrels that are the problem ... not bears or skunks!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Snicks1 wrote:

@Snicks1 

Such emotional generosity ...   but the squirrels have now invited several friends, and there's suddenly waaaay too many visiting. 

Well, at least it's squirrels that are the problem ... not bears or skunks!  Woman LOL

@Tinkrbl44, lol, I put out a certain amount of food, the "early bird", so to speak, gets the food. If they sleep in, they miss out. I put out the food at about 7 am every day, and usually, within a couple of minutes, the birds and squirrels are busily eating.

It works for me, I realize everyone is different and will make their own choices. 

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44   I use Cole's Flaming Squirrel Seed Sauce.  Mix 3 T into 5 lbs of bird seed.   Squirrels will stay away.  But be very, very careful using this stuff - it will burn your skin.   And do not hold it near your nose to smell it either.   I have a large Rubbermaid plastic container I use to mix and store the seasoned seed.

coles flaming seed sauce.png

You can order it from Amazon.  I order it from Duncraft - I think it's cheaper.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Tinkrbl44,  add cayanne pepper to the bird seeds.  The capsicum does not affect the birds but squirrels will quickly learn to seek food elsewhere.

Rain will wash away the pepper so you will have to watch for when to add more.  A very light spray with a neutral oil will help the pepper stick.

You could also change the seed you are feeding.  Squirrels don't like millet, nyjer, safflower or other "bitter" seeds.  However, different birds are attracted to different seeds so you might lose some current birds but attract others.

@Marp 

I've tried several suggestions here, and, so far,  feeding the birds SAFFLOWER SEEDS bought at Walmart has been most successful.    The squirrels won't eat them and the birds don't seem to notice any change in diet.   Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Birds need to forage for their foods.  If we continue to feed birds, their purpose will not have been served in the Eco chain.  They are here to eat worms, seeds and so forth that are excess to the environment and if we feed them, they quit working and then when we (the ones who feed them) are no longer around and the next generation does not feed them, they starve to death.  A lesson I learned in a Nature course I took in another ConEd course at a local university.