Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH SQUIRRELS

@Tinkrbl44  We use a squirrel baffle. 

Woodlink NABAF18 Audubon Wrap Around Squirrel Baffle, 18-Inch - Black

It works for us. We keep the feeders far enough from trees so the squirrels can't leap to them but close enough so the birds have cover. If you want to spend more money you can buy moving feeders that fling the squirrels off when they land on them. Also, make sure you don't have peanuts or corn in your bird feed. 

Honored Contributor

Let us know if you find a solution.

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

I feel for you, as those squirrels are not going to walk away from their free food source!   

It took 20+ boxes of D-con to get rid of the squirrels that invaded my grandmothers house looking for the peanuts my grandfather gave them daily for over 10 years.   They chewed their way in from the top and bottom, and destroyed many things inside the house, looking for food.   

Exactly.  Squirrels are a nuisance.  I don't feed anything.  We have a rodent problem in my area.  My next-door neighbors feed them, and then they drop their empty peanut shells in my yard which attract rodents!  It's a losing battle.    

Super Contributor

Call Carolyn and Gary.

Super Contributor

Maybe Carolyn Gracie and Gary Gobin could help.

Trusted Contributor

Call Nutsy.

Esteemed Contributor

If your feeder is on a pole grease it and they can't get up the pole. This even works on raccoons. My husband greases it every time he fills it. He uses axel grease from Tractor Supply. 

Honored Contributor

ugh 

we stopped filling our bird feeder because of that,

squirrels are smart

they will find away

you could try the inverted cone baffle on a pole 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Use safflower only! Your cards & others will love it! Your downys, not so much. But it's the only thing the squirrels turn their noses at. Try it for a few weeks.

My one squirrel, Mustache, was as incorrigible as one could get, even scamming the "squirrel-proof" feeder. She also taught her little brats how, too.

Once the safflower was in, all the squirrels took a hike. It was the only way.

p.s. I did the squirt gun, also used a sling shot w/ peanuts!

Honored Contributor

I wish you good luck!  If they are anything like they are here, there are a ton of them --- everywhere!  They are cute and fun to watch but honestly, they are a problem.  They dig up all of our bulbs.  They have now gotten to the point where they even climb into small potted plants on our porch and dig into them and knock them all over the place.  

We have tried putting this stuff into the dirt which smells funky, kind of like garlic, which we heard about to deter them --- it doesn't!  We got a plastic owl thing which has these fiery looking eyes and sends out this signal when motion detected --- it doesn't work!  

I don't know.  I would say, short of not feeding the birds any longer --- ask your local hardware stores if they have any suggestion or search on line for birdfeeders which possibly sit higher up and might have openings which the squirrels can't access.  

Good luck!  Between the squirrels, deer, groundhogs, stray cats, and whatever else that decides to come through here --- we have about decided to just quit planting anything!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin