Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEED A NEW VACUUM - HELP

I'm a Dyson lover. I have dogs. Dyson is the only one that lasts and last. If you shop at BBB with a coupon and sale price you can find some good deals. My DIL does really well with Kohl's sales. The warranty is usually 5 years. I've had one of mine much longer than that and it still works fine. I like the washable filters.

I had Kirby prior to the Dyson which lasted over 29 years. They just got to be too heavy for me to push around the house.

If you have a vacuum repair shop in your area they sometimes sell refurbished vaqcuums.---all models My friend purchase a Dyson at the one in our area and is very pleased with it.

Valued Contributor

@software  Thanks! I'll definitly look into this one, B&D is a good brand.  I'll NEVER BUY A SHARK PRODUCT AGAIN.   The CS Manager was rude to me, didn't have any care that THEIR vacuum (after careful and minimal use) just quit on me;  I hadn't realized there was just a ONE YEAR Warranty.  (I then read many many negative reviews for that and other SHARK vacuums - I truly hope they go bankrupt.)  I'd passed the Warranty by 3 months -- the CS guy thought he would offer me a 'deal' on a same replacement. (I really loved the cordless and other easy features, I have an injured back). Turned out he offered a new one for only $10 less than what I'd paid QVC for mine, no 6-Easy Pays, so I counter-offered him $50 (I always negotiate when it seems fair) and he laughed at me and smugly said "NO".  QVC couldn't/wouldn't help out with some form of credit towards a new vacuum either.  I won't pay $300 for a vacuum I use only weekly (it's just me).

That's my Rant so I appreciate hearing of other brands' models & prices (AND Warranty periods!).  It's completely ridiculous to sell household appliances which we NEED, then slap a 1 or 2 year Warranty on it! I'll use my broom before falling into that trap again.  WHAT A SCAM.

BEWARE THE GOOD PRICE (WITH SHORT WARRANTY !!!!

Honored Contributor

I’m looking for a new one, too.  Really dislike my Dyson Animal, which I had to take in for service, after the warranty period expired. The repair people dislike this brand, too.  Last year, they advised me to get a few new parts...did that, and it worked somewhat better for a while.  

It now works less well than my battery operated, very cheap, Hoover. 

Im looking at a Miele canister Vac...Costco has it on their website.  Might go into a store on Monday to see if they sell it there.  It’s very well rated 

Valued Contributor

@Carmie   Thanks so much for this Bissell recommendation, it sounds like a winner.  Questions:  Is it cordless?  Filters needed? Upright with easy moving?  Does hair get stuck in the roller brush and then is it easy to clean out?  You'll tell me the truth -- instead of the salespeople.  I think our Home Appliance manufacturers/distributers are 'cleaning up' because of all the vacuums that have built-in obsolesence.  Appliances should last us at least 5-10 years, IMO.  Imagine all the landfills bulging with vacuums, microwaves, coffeemakers, fans, heaters.....actually I have many cheap appliances that have lasted over 10 years!!!  Like my Cuisinart electric stainless steel (!) water boiler, it's been used to death! So worth it.

Valued Contributor

@mom2four0418  This model doesn't use replaceable filters; I kept it very clean -- I thought maybe I got a 'dud' but when I read the many many neg reviews I decided to not give Shark my money EVER AGAIN.

(Can you tell how upset and frustrated I still am?)  GRRRRRRR

Valued Contributor

@Fressa   Hey, thanks for all the info!  There is a nearby Vacuum Cleaner repair store (see, how many other appliances need their own Repair Stores?)  Maybe they can fix mine if there's something I'm not aware of.

Again, WHY are vacuum cleaners such an ongoing hassle to find, maintain, replace.....they are the bane of my existence (besides bad drivers!)

Honored Contributor

@BSurLife65   it is not cordless, but it is an upright.   You can adjust it for different pile heights of the carpet and bare floors. It comes with accessories.  You can use the hose also to clean stairs, etc.with no loss of suction.

It is easy to clean.  I just remove the canister dump the dirt into an old plastic  bag and toss.  The filter is washable.  It's spongy.  I have two long hair dogs and have never had their fur stuck on the rollers.  I use this cleaner almost everyday.

It is lightweight and easy to push.  I carry it up and down two flights of stairs with ease.

I have had it two years in February.  I originally bought it for my RV, but I like it so much, I brought it inside my home.

I think it is a bargain.  I have had two Dysons, a couple of Hoover's and a few other vacuums over the years.  And I like this one the best.  If if breaks, I will buy another. 

I checked the reviews in Walmarts site before I purchased it.  It has great reviews.  There are two models.  I have the less expensive one.

I also own the Bissell Crosswave and a Bissell Big Green Carpet Cleaneed... expensive but worth it.

I bought both after the vacuum cleaner.  I really like the Bissell products.

Valued Contributor

@Carmie  Wow, I so appreciate your taking the time to answer all my questions -- I'll definitely put the Bissel with the other Top Recommended.

No Walmart in my town -- I'll do a wide search & make calls.

Thanks again! Heart

Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I'm a Dyson lover. I have dogs. Dyson is the only one that lasts and last. If you shop at BBB with a coupon and sale price you can find some good deals. My DIL does really well with Kohl's sales. The warranty is usually 5 years. I've had one of mine much longer than that and it still works fine. I like the washable filters.

I had Kirby prior to the Dyson which lasted over 29 years. They just got to be too heavy for me to push around the house.

If you have a vacuum repair shop in your area they sometimes sell refurbished vaqcuums.---all models My friend purchase a Dyson at the one in our area and is very pleased with it.

I have two Dysons.  An upright animal and a canister model.  The upright Dyson really works great on carpet, but it does not work well on hardwood floors.  It blows the tumbleweed clumps of dog hair around instead of picking them up.

Also, some carpet companies will not honor the carpet warranty if you have a Dyson.  It is so strong it ruins some of today's carpets. And it is too heavy to carry up and down stairs.

I do agree that if you only have carpets,and are able to use this machine on them, this vacuum is tops, and very expensive.  My DH has had to fix it two times already...one time the cord came out and he had to rewire it.

I hate the Dyson canister model. My DH put it on our boat and uses it there.

Honored Contributor

Just want to add that I’m not only replacing my Dyson canister vac, but am also planning to get rid of my hand held, rechargeable Dyson.    I’ve already found that a Hoover rechargeable, is my go-to for quick pick ups. 

Feel that Dyson was very over-rated, and over sold.   They just don’t last.