Esteemed Contributor

Mystique Flameless Tealight Candles - Review

Sharing this information for those who asked me to give an update.

I ordered these from Overstock.  If you search for Mystique Flameless you will see them.  They were $21.99 for two, but the price has gone up to $23.99.   I see these sold elsewhere online, but this may still be the lowest price.  The photo is misleading because they are not as short looking as the ones photographed by Overstock:

Mystique Flameless Candle

This is what the ones I received actually look like:

Image 1

The box says Mystique by Boston Warehouse.  Technology by Liown.

The tealights measure 1.5" in diameter.  The plastic tealight itself is 1.25" tall, and overall height is 2" tall up to the flame tip.  They use one CR2450 battery each.

I've had them on timer for 4 nights now.  As far as I can see, they are the same as the Luminara technology.  The movement of the flame is a little faster than a Luminara pillar I have, which I used to compare them side by side.  I took some videos to share, but I have been unable to make them viewable online.

@BornToShop

@snpets

@mallemo

Honored Contributor

Re: Mystique Flameless Tealight Candles - Review

I think I got an email about these, but wasn't crazy about the button battery.  Things I have with that battery don't last long.

Honored Contributor

I see that name Liown on Luminara products, so there does have to be some link/similarity to Luminara, I'd say.

I wish they'd advance the technology of these smaller candles to get better battery life. The button batter lights just don't last long enough for the cost of the batteries. 

Maybe in a couple of years they will improve.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

D/P

Super Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

Sharing this information for those who asked me to give an update.

I ordered these from Overstock.  If you search for Mystique Flameless you will see them.  They were $21.99 for two, but the price has gone up to $23.99.   I see these sold elsewhere online, but this may still be the lowest price.  The photo is misleading because they are not as short looking as the ones photographed by Overstock:

Mystique Flameless Candle

This is what the ones I received actually look like:

Image 1

The box says Mystique by Boston Warehouse.  Technology by Liown.

The tealights measure 1.5" in diameter.  The plastic tealight itself is 1.25" tall, and overall height is 2" tall up to the flame tip.  They use one CR2450 battery each.

I've had them on timer for 4 nights now.  As far as I can see, they are the same as the Luminara technology.  The movement of the flame is a little faster than a Luminara pillar I have, which I used to compare them side by side.  I took some videos to share, but I have been unable to make them viewable online.

Thanks for the review SHOPR! One question, do you need to unscrew the bottom to change the battery? TIA!

Super Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I see that name Liown on Luminara products, so there does have to be some link/similarity to Luminara, I'd say.

I wish they'd advance the technology of these smaller candles to get better battery life. The button batter lights just don't last long enough for the cost of the batteries. 

Maybe in a couple of years they will improve.

I don't know if that's possible with such a small area.  I think they need to invent a better battery.Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@snpets wrote:

Thanks for the review SHOPR! One question, do you need to unscrew the bottom to change the battery? TIA!

@snpets, No, there is no screw holding the battery cover in place.  It is like a kid's coin bank, where you have to use a coin or beefy flathead screwdriver, which is what I used, to turn the cover to latch and unlatch it.  I tested mine to be sure it was simple enough, and I had no trouble.  I have ordered some more, so hopefully when they arrive, they will be made the same way. 

Hopefully this picture will help:

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g418/UnderTheseTrees/IMG_3821_zpswxbycyx6.jpg?t=1445375422

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GCR18 wrote:

I think I got an email about these, but wasn't crazy about the button battery.  Things I have with that battery don't last long.

These are supposed to last around 80 hours, or 16 days on timer.  I agree, not good. I will have to buy the batteries in bulk at Amazon or eBay and hope they work. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the picture SHOPR!

I have to admit that I'm disappointed in the opening. I had trouble with the CI votives (H282739) with similar type opening. Hoping these won't have issues.

It looks like they have on/off/timer settings which I prefer, not just off/timer like CI?

Esteemed Contributor

@snpets wrote:

Thanks for the picture SHOPR!

I have to admit that I'm disappointed in the opening. I had trouble with the CI votives (H282739) with similar type opening. Hoping these won't have issues.

It looks like they have on/off/timer settings which I prefer, not just off/timer like CI?

Yes, that is correct, @snpets.  I hope that I don't have any trouble with the openings in the future, because I have ordered more of them.  The plastic probably is rather soft.  You can see on my photo the indentions left by the tips of the screwdriver.  But the latching action seems secure, so we will see if it holds up.