Honored Contributor

A relative of my husband's passed away and I was given a beautiful, mission style with a tapestry seat , oak rocker. I have been needing another chair in the LR too - so this will be a family heirloom and fill that need. The family wants to keep the house staged til it sells so I will have to be patient and wait for it.

Honored Contributor

Re: My newest antique furniture

I think it will be a beautiful addition to your home.  There are probably eight pieces of antique furniture in our home.  They have all been handed down in the family and I would hate to part with any of them.

Respected Contributor

I like antiques also. I have a few pieces of family members pieces from the past, and also a few from various antique shows. They seem to blend nicely with newer pieces - giving a nice homey mix to my house. One of my husbands favorite pieces is an oak/glass china cabinet of his grandmas - I use it to display my collection of red ware pieces, looks great. I have a pretty rustic decorated home, not cutesy by any means, so, the antiques look quite at home here. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I have 6 pieces of antique furniture right now - the rocker will be 7. We sold some when we moved to Florida as we just did not have room for them in this small house. I agree that mixing some pretty pieces from the past add a definite homey feel to a room. I also have pretty crocheted doilys and tabletoppers I inherited and many vintage 40's and 50's pottery & glass pieces. It is a kind of an eclectic hodgepoge but I like it. My DH inherited several mission style pieces from his grandmother who was married in 1905 when mission was modern and she decorated her home with it. I have a small side table that was owned by my German grandmother's ancestors and was from before the Revolutionary war, and pieces my great grandmother brought over from Italy when she immigrated in 1908. I have actually found on ancestry a packing receipt from the ship saying she stored a small ivory inlaid walnut table. I have that table, with a number stapled to the bottom of it that matched the number on the receipt.  She also stored a trunk full of household items that my brother now owns - not the items just the trunk.