Honored Contributor

Re: My new floors are in...yippee!!!!

@ptagirl

yes it was a mess but well worth it! I'm so glad I had great contractors & looking forward to being done with this side of the house!

My tiles are on backorder for my bathroom.  That's fine because I was stressing them getting done before I left to go home 3/17 and decided to stay thru Easter.  (the days fly by lately!).

Although, hiring professionals (not from HD or Lowes) they know what a true timeline is!!😉

Esteemed Contributor

@Veneziawrote:

@ccassaday- Thank you.  We're rural and have a gravel drive.  In the winter especially, a lot of grit and dirt gets tracked in no matter how careful we are.  That's another reason the carpets are going.  I prefer to get recommendations from people on these forums, as I know it will be "real life" and not a salesman trying to sell a certain product.

I'll check out what you've suggested.

Whatever you decide like others have stated do not use a big box store for installation. If you do order it from a big box store hire someone experienced to put it down. Or go to a small local company that guarantees installation.  We had horrible experience with Home Depot when we replaced the flooring in our old house. They didn’t get the seams correct. Then because they screwed up they ran out of flooring. We litterly had it finished a week before we closed.  They actually have someone really experienced that goes around fixing the screw ups of their regular installers.  The sub contractors that did our resilient floor planks in our new build did a excellent job and it looks beautiful. I can share a picture I’d you want. Or you can go to the it’s starting to look like a house thread and see them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday @homedecor1 @Venezia  Love you remodeling! Thanks for your suggestions and sharing ideas.

Didn't have a clue about the direct sunlight. Have never had a dog, but that factors into the resale value in many years. Like any hardwood floor, I'm not concerned about having it polished. That's part of caring for a good floor. An older hardwood floor will eventually require refinishing . . . and I've had that done in one of our homes in Ohio. It wasn't a big deal and the floors gleamed afterward! The sunlight does concern me with bamboo.

But I remain so concerned with the environment! Do I spend the money on oak or walnut hardwood to keep my home environmentally friendly? Not sure that's feasible. It's a large 4 bedroom, 3 1/2 bath home . . . but far from a mansion! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1   I always thought a lighter colored floor is the best option.  It does not show dust like dark floors.  Your floor looks really good.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Looks very nice. Bet you were happy to say bye bye to that track lighting.

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLadywrote:

@ccassaday @homedecor1 @Venezia  Love you remodeling! Thanks for your suggestions and sharing ideas.

Didn't have a clue about the direct sunlight. Have never had a dog, but that factors into the resale value in many years. Like any hardwood floor, I'm not concerned about having it polished. That's part of caring for a good floor. An older hardwood floor will eventually require refinishing . . . and I've had that done in one of our homes in Ohio. It wasn't a big deal and the floors gleamed afterward! The sunlight does concern me with bamboo.

But I remain so concerned with the environment! Do I spend the money on oak or walnut hardwood to keep my home environmentally friendly? Not sure that's feasible. It's a large 4 bedroom, 3 1/2 bath home . . . but far from a mansion! 

Walnut would be dark. I would go with the lighter option. So many people have walnut or very dark and hate them because they show everything.

Esteemed Contributor

I live alone. Walnut if my favorite wood. Just very, very pricey. Still considering bamboo. Have one selected. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Thought I'd share a pic of my porcelain tile floors.  This is my foyer.  We have this floor throughout, but it is different patterns in different areas.

foyer.jpg

We had planned to use reclaimed wood throughout the house, but for numerous reasons (mainly dogs), we opted for the porcelain.  

Please excuse the backwards 6 0; the hubster recently had a big b-day and the remains are still in the foyer.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon

those floors are gorgeous heck the whole entryway is!!!

I can only imagine how precise your tile contractor had to be!  I love the color.

My painter finished the first part of the job today which is my kitchen/den area -- these floors are easy to clean! Although, I think I will need a steamer.

Wish your hubby a happy 60th! and thanks for sharing your beautiful foyer!!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1wrote:

@faeriemoon

those floors are gorgeous heck the whole entryway is!!!

I can only imagine how precise your tile contractor had to be!  I love the color.

My painter finished the first part of the job today which is my kitchen/den area -- these floors are easy to clean! Although, I think I will need a steamer.

Wish your hubby a happy 60th! and thanks for sharing your beautiful foyer!!

@homedecor1  My pleasure; and thank you.  Enjoy your floors and all your renovations!