Honored Contributor

I needed new casual silverware for the kitchen to use with my Corelle plates that are white with a slash of black lines across it. I didn't want to pay a lot and I found just the thing! Corele makes stainless silverware with corelle handles that match their dishes and they are really "stinkin' cute". The fork handles are white with the black lines slashed around them - the knives are solid black and the spoons are black/white stripe.They match all the Corelle black/white patterns.The best of all - got them from Walmart , $20 & change for a set of 4 (I had to buy 2 sets) with free shipping!  

My previous silverware were from Target - steel with black plastic handles. My DH kept leaving them on the stove or the edge of the frying pan when he made breakfast and he melted most of the handles. Now I'll have the fatter handles my arthritic hands need but they will not melt.

Honored Contributor

Re: My new corelle silverware .

I've had the matching flatware pattern to my Corelle dishes for 25 years.

I don't think it's anything new.

Honored Contributor

I would not use silver with Corelle.  Too formal.  Why not use a very casual pattern that is universal to anything, Revere (Oneida).  There are several places it can be purchased, Bed, Bath and Beyond; Amazon, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

I would not use silver with Corelle.  Too formal.  Why not use a very casual pattern that is universal to anything, Revere (Oneida).  There are several places it can be purchased, Bed, Bath and Beyond; Amazon, etc. 

@Nonametoday- she didn’t say silver, like sterling silver. She said silverware, like flatware. 

I call our forks, knives and spoons silverware.  Always have. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I call my stainless steel flatware silverware too!  I always say to my DH that we need silverware on the table.   Perish the thought I would ever use my real silverware with anything casual! 

151949 -- I went to the site and saw your Corelle Coordinates and love them.  I could definitely see the dishes and the flatware on a bright tablecloth and maybe brightly colored flowered napkins in the Spring and Summer. 

You made a great choice and thank you so much for sharing.  I love tablesettings.  I think food looks better when there is a beautiful presentation.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I have yellow quilted placemats with black & white gingham ruffled edges. Also 'Stinkin cute" that will make a very nice background for these.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday  Did you even read the original post?

Respected Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

I grew up calling our crummy stainless steel pieces silverware and yes we used them with Corelle.  Oh the insanity! 

Honored Contributor

Your new pieces sound so striking, @151949.  It's neat that you have a mixed media set--  steel with Corelle.  And the black and white is so stylish  I'm a flatware fiend ( I love everything, from old line sterling patterns to the newest stainless steel).

I was ecstatic recently when I discovered an almost full second hand estate set of my RSVP stainless pattern on Ebay for very little.  Now I have double of everything, and the pieces I just bought look like most of them were nener used-- they are completely unmarked and glossier than my original set.

Corelle, which is tempered glass, is my favorite kind of dishware-- it is so light and thin.  I have the Winter Frost White, which I love to mix at times with other patterns.  Have some Fitz and Floyd porcelain Art Deco burgundy and white calla lily salad plates that look sensational with the white Corelle dinner plates.

Meanwhile, my good china sits in its box, mainly unused..... 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  My good china is just decoration in the china cabinet. However, we do use our crystal glasses a lot. Used all 12 of my champagne flutes on NYE.