Honored Contributor

Re: My favorite walk-in shower

@Venezia wrote:

It's funny how different things appeal to different people.

For me, there's nothing at all appealing about that shower.  I like to feel enclosed.  But add to that, that I think with that open floor, you'd have water going everywhere outside the shower area.  I don't care how "good" the drain is.  Seen that style at hotels in Italy and the bathroom floor would be flooded.  (I changed our room!)

And what a cleaning job.  No, thanks.

@Venezia 

That is why they call it a wet room.  In case any water gets on your floor, it will not destroy the tile, as those kinds of tile from the olden days.  There is very little water gets on my floor, only where I step out of the shower and I have a mat there which is lined with copper to prevent mildew and it only has to be wiped occasionally.  I don't think I have wiped it in months, so that's a good reminder.  It absorbs water like a sponge and does not mildew. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

That would be like standing out in the rain, trying to get shampoo out of your hair.  I'd be there all day.

@Kachina624 

I never enjoyed showers until we got this one.  We do have a built-in seat in the corner, sort of a little half-moon shape and I can sit there to shave my legs but I love that shower and I love the feeling of water on me.  It just makes me feel good.  We have the inserted shelving for shampoo, soap, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 wrote:

That looks like a shower for two! It definitely needs at least one grab bar. Plenty of room for one.

@Trailrun23 

My husband's is a mini version of this in slate.  His floors and walls are the same. He has  two grab bars.  He has two lava bowls with blue pearl counter tops.  That was what he wanted.  He likes blue.  He chose everything for his bathroom. These grab bars can be installed at any time.  We took a lot of money from our savings and gutted our house because some day soon we will need to sell it because one of us will leave the other due to age and we want the children to be able to sell the house quickly.  Our powder room is in the same color as my bathroom and I recently painted the walls a very dark, moody green instead of the color of the limestone.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday 

Please share what type of mat you have.  Your husbands bathroom sounds great and I would love a shower like that.  

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Nonametoday 

Please share what type of mat you have.  Your husbands bathroom sounds great and I would love a shower like that.  

@mspatmac 

It looks somewhat like a sponge without holes.  I bought it at Costco a couple years ago (before that, I was using towels and threw them in the dryer).  It was said to have copper in it.  It is memory foam quick-dry with copper so that it does not mildew.  I figure, probably, Amazon will have them when I need them again.  They do not slip and I never have any sign of mildew.  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday - Unfortunately, the hotel rooms in Italy that had a similar syle bathroom, weren't called wet rooms.  They were just old-style, with a tiny (and I do mean tiny) strip of wood across the opening of the shower that was supposed to stop the water from escaping.

It didn't work!  And I'm not about to walk around on a wet floor for the rest of the day.  I sometimes look at similar ideas in different countries on "House Hunters International" and think "no way".

Just call me a traditionalist.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

@Nonametoday - Unfortunately, the hotel rooms in Italy that had a similar syle bathroom, weren't called wet rooms.  They were just old-style, with a tiny (and I do mean tiny) strip of wood across the opening of the shower that was supposed to stop the water from escaping.

It didn't work!  And I'm not about to walk around on a wet floor for the rest of the day.  I sometimes look at similar ideas in different countries on "House Hunters International" and think "no way".

Just call me a traditionalist.  Woman Happy

@Venezia 

There is never a drop of water on my floor except from my body when I step out of the shower.  You obviously don't like it so that's fine.  But, there is no water but since there is a lot of water in this room, it is called a wet room and there is no wood near my shower.  It is tile floor and walls up to and slightly above the window.  Floor, walls, shower and the soaking tub with steps to it, surrounded by tile.  I have been to Europe.  Theirs is not like ours.

Respected Contributor

Not something that work for me or my home.

Valued Contributor

I'm not a fan of those "walls of showers" behind a tub or whatever in a bathroom as this looks like with entrances on both sides and totally open. I do like rainhead overall showers and the kind of stone/tile. I'd go with a different color and have it enclosed in glass though. Double shower heads are nice for couples, but these look cheap which is a shame cause it looks like they spent lots of money on the tile/stone work & overhead shower. Why put in 2 cheap shower heads when you have that high end kinda space?? That always baffles me. If you go high end, put high end fixtures in. If you go cheap....well do whatever you want! lol
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Very funny...thanks for the laugh. Cat LOL